Sign in to follow this  

Big change of type of bike - help needed

Hello from a Newbie.  I am seeking the advice of those much more qualified than I am in my search for a more suitable bike for my needs than the one I have.

I own a Bandit 1250 that I bought 6 years ago for touring.  Now it is time for a change since I moved to the Algarve, Portugal in 2013.  Basically the big Bandit is unsuitable for the type of roads here, as they are very twisty, narrow and often rough.  There are also a lot of usable trails, and judging by the amount of trail and dual-purpose style bikes on the roads around the whole country, the locals obviously know something I don't.

I will still be using the bike mainly on the road, but as I am now retired, I am not in a hurry.  I have the time and I also have less money, so economy is the first priority, followed by reliability.  I rarely go above 120km (70-75mph) these days, so speed is of little importance.  I will go touring with a tent, but as I said, I have the time, and I am in no rush to get anywhere fast.  I intend to ride up the odd trail, but no serious off-road stuff.

I have found it very difficult to get any solid fuel economy figures, the Royal Enfields being the bikes that are always mentioned when it comes to info on economical bikes.  I have researched 250s (old DRs and NXs), the XT series, all DRs, the Pegaso, NX400 and Suzuki's Freewind.  The Freewind and NX400 being the two bikes at the top of my list at the moment.

I appreciated that you will have your favourites, but I still want to know why you would suggest them.

All advice and help will be much appreciated.

Andy

Freewind is basically a DR650 with 19" front wheel and a windscreen, so there is a lot of info about it that you will need because I think they stoped making them in 2002

NX400 never heard of it and I think you might have some troubles in finding a solution if any problem will arise.

Any 250cc dual sport is better offroad as they are lighter, but you will feel a great lack of power.

I would definitely prefer Freewind to Pegaso, but it might be just me  :)

I don't know the market in Portugal, but out of those on a list for travelling 120kms/h and bad roads I would want a Freewind. For fuel economy, commuting in a populated area and offroad 250-400cc DR/XR or even XT, but they don't like to be pushed past 90kms/h

Just IMHO

Thanks MCVL.  The NX400, or NX-4 here, is a Honda which I believe is very popular in South America and has very good reviews.  The off-road part of my riding will be very infrequent and I don't live in a very populated area, so the Freewind is looking more realistic.

Thanks again.

klx650-DR650  or similar would be great for the touring/street style and occasional offroad/dirt-road like you describe. There are all sorts of accessories to be had to outfit them for touring, road, and off-road use.

For a sportier ride the DRZ400 would be great. The NX400 is very similar, but more street oriented. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those. If there are XRs there and you can plate them you also can't go wrong with those if you want something older, cheaper, and tough/dirt worthy.