Sign in to follow this  

DB mags 2007 cr250 Mcgrath replica and test

Awesome reads, pretty sure my engine is going to pc. Im torn between pc and tom morgan racing, either way im sure it will be a monster.

I have the PC setup on my '05 and the write-up is fairly accurate.  The PC engine caters to a pro level rider who is in shape. 

so......where can i get the HRC ignition from???

A good place to start is to contact K-dogg.

He has a full works HRC 250 engine. The genuine article.  If I remember correctly, it is an '04.  

No, I am not kidding.

Edited by APBT
  • Like 1

You could also contact Kuritaro9.

He lives in Japan and has had access to works HRC equipment.

This is the Zeeltronic PDCI-11VT.  It is programmable in 1 degree increments using their hand held programmer.

You can use the powerjet circuit with this ignition if you are using the Keihin PWK AirStriker.

You can program your own desired electronic powervalve actuation.

You can use the TPS.

PDCI-11VT - single channel programmable CDI and PV controller

...programmable with Handheld Programmer and PC

PDCI-11VT_.jpg

Supported bikes: 
Honda: CR250R (with, or without connectors)

Technical data:
- minimum revs <100 RPM
- maximum revs 20000 RPM
- minimum supply voltage 9 Volts
- maximum supply voltage 18 Volts
- max idle current draw 50 mAmp
- maximum continuous current for shift light and power jet output 1 Amp 
- peak current for shift light and power jet output 5 Amp
- constant spark energy from idle to 20000 RPM >65mJ

Circuit is protected against reverse supply voltage (wrong connection).

Features:
- one channel isolated input (pickup)
- store and load function for two ignition curves
- TPS input (Throttle Position Sensor)

- shift light output
- 2 power jet outputs
- quick shift (shift kill)
- soft rev limit (three stage rev limit)
- external switch for changing ignition map while riding
- tachometer output
- easy and fast programming on the field, via hand held programmer
- programming while machine running - you can immediately see effects
- each curve can be set in 4 to 12 curve points
- 3D interpolated ignition map, if TPS selected
- signal delay compensation
- instant monitoring of rev's and angle, via LCD(hand held programmer)
- programmable power valve actuation
- store and load function for 5 PV curves
- external switch for changing PV map while riding
- programmable PV deviation
- programmable max close and max open positions
- self PV test on power-up
- PV error detecting (position sensor failure, servo motor failure) 
- fast processing for high accuracy - delays from 1us
- timing calculation for every 1 RPM change (1000, 1002, .. , 9805, 9806, ...)

Edited by APBT
  • Like 1

Polishhammer - Thanks for posting, I'm running the JD ignition & can say it compliments the PC engine mods nicely.

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

Awesome reads, pretty sure my engine is going to pc. Im torn between pc and tom morgan racing, either way im sure it will be a monster.

A few years back I was contemplating getting some work done by Tom Morgan & Terry Varner. Decided on PC after reading articles in 03 about Tom's work & in 04 read about Terry's mods that they both milled the base & test rides resulted in loss of topend. If your looking for a low-mid strong motor then they would be a better option.

Here's one of the articles. This one was from 04 on the Terry Varner mods.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGsQFjAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocross.transworld.net%2F1000020533%2Ffeatures%2Funleashed-fury-realizing-the-2004-honda-cr250rs-true-potential%2F&ei=sIeaU6jJHIGjyAT7soCADA&usg=AFQjCNG3-GqrEmuUYSxe7MFcS9IJk4ToyQ

• Like 1

H4L is correct about the PC engine. Since PC does not mill the cylinder or use epoxy, the PC engine is not exactly a low end monster. One of the other options might be a better choice for SX, woods or technical riding. However, a pro level guy would like it

• Like 1

I actually contacted tom Morgan about his mods and the resulting power delivery and if im honest with my skill level, it is probably the smarter decision. He said ill gain peak hp while gaining substantial part throttle respone and power and tractable power. Basically it sounds like more power everywhere amd easier to use power, He said he likes a motor to be able to tackle obstacles in 2 gears, either one Without issue, flexible amd strong delivery,

Pc sounds like a holeshot machine and more fun, but morgan's sounds like the better option for tricky sectoons and getting spool for jumps out of tight turns without completely barking the tire loose.

Glad you guys liked the articles. I would like to have my 01 cylinder ported some day. I'm thinking Varner or Tom Morgan . TLR has great prices but I can't find a lot or cr250 info on them. I'm sure PC would be an excellent choice, but I like to utilize smaller businesses.

I actually contacted tom Morgan about his mods and the resulting power delivery and if im honest with my skill level, it is probably the smarter decision. He said ill gain peak hp while gaining substantial part throttle respone and power and tractable power. Basically it sounds like more power everywhere amd easier to use power, He said he likes a motor to be able to tackle obstacles in 2 gears, either one Without issue, flexible amd strong delivery,

Pc sounds like a holeshot machine and more fun, but morgan's sounds like the better option for tricky sectoons and getting spool for jumps out of tight turns without completely barking the tire loose.

I sent mine to Eric Gorr, who milled the base, cut the head for pump premium and did some very minor porting in the transfer ports.  My 06 doesn't lack power anywhere, I am sure it doesn't have the peak hp that the PC motor has but for my riding style and abilities, it is a great motor for me.  I wanted to tame the huge mid range hit on mine and the mods EG did, accomplished that exactly, added a ton of low end, smoothed the mid, and IMO it has better top than it had before as well.

I sent mine to Eric Gorr, who milled the base, cut the head for pump premium and did some very minor porting in the transfer ports.  My 06 doesn't lack power anywhere

This is probably one of the better options for the majority of guys.  Plus, Eric's prices are usually some of the most reasonable

No disrespect to EG, but seems to have more negative feedback on this forum than good. If it were my engine & wanted to mill the base & cut the head (fix the squish band) I'd send it RB designs or Tom / Terry if I wanted porting included. EG seems to be a crap shoot since he moved...

This is probably one of the better options for the majority of guys.  Plus, Eric's prices are usually some of the most reasonable

+1. cost me $99 plus shipping and it runs awesome.  I had talked to him about shaving the base and then doing a full Mo betta port on it for $225 but when they called me to ship it they said cost was $99 plus shipping.  I questioned that because I wanted the power spread out as far as we could and I figured that would be his mo betta port.  Eric Called me back and said "trust me, this is what you want" and he was right.  The bike has power whenever I want it, and I didn't pay for his full port package to get it.

Had only 1 experience with an EG modified motor & it was on a co-workers 97 CR250r. It felt similar to my stock 97 motor with just a little more lowend. Wasn't impressed with his work after hearing from other fellow riders that didn't feel much gains over their stock motors either.