Sign in to follow this  

water in cylinder after top-end?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, so sorry if this is not the right place for this question.

I have a Husaberg TE125 2013 (same engine as KTM 125 two stroke).

I just replaced my piston, and after the closing everything and having the first warm-up run:

1. Lots of water came out of the hose area in or near the main frame, made  a green puddle underneath, radiators almost empty.

2. The engine sounded weird (sound like grrr, stalls on idle).

3. Lots of smoke from the exhaust, with splashes of liquid of sorts.

I suspect water is making it's way to the cylinder. 

I am pretty sure all the three orings on the head were perfectly in place.

Any ideas on how this could have happened? Any ideas on where is the coolant coming from within the frame?

Thanks!

I just went through a similar"ish" situation. I just had my head cut by slavens and then tossed it on. I wasn't getting coolant dumping out, but it was definitely burning it. It ended up being that the recesses for the o-rings had some residue or something in them. I ended up cleaning them out and then tossed in another new set and that stopped the issue. This was on an '11 300xc, though. Might be a step in the right direction, though.

Those marks are from the new piston and rings wearing in and are NORMAL. Just takes a few hours for everything to wear in and find their happy places. No need to worry, and as far as the bottom end is concerned, the bearings and seals should have plenty of oil residue on them from prior operation to prevent them from rusting. Just turn the bike upside down while you have the top end apart, or blow it out with compressed air and you will be fine. Even if you have a small puddle of coolant in the bottom end you can run the engine and it will work its way out of the motor without doing any serious damage, just smoke a little bit 'til all the water is gone. I would recommend running a little more oil in your fuel mix for at least 1 tank and you are sure all the water is out of the engine. Plus, running slightly more oil will help with wearing in the rings and piston.

• Like 1