pilot screw parts sequence?

Hi All,

My carb (factory Keihin PD8AF) needed new rubber bits and gaskets...starting to get old and hard.  So, I bought a gasket set and float valve from Honda and began the task of replacing o-rings, gaskets and the float valve since the rubber tip has hardened.

My question concerns the sequence of parts that are associated with the pilot screw.  When I took the pilot screw out to change the o-ring, the parts came out as follows...pilot screw, spring, metal washer, o-ring.  According to my FSM, the sequence should be: pilot screw, spring, o-ring, metal washer...AND when I looked at the printed exploded view of the carb that the local Honda dealership provided me the sequence was different again: pilot screw, o-ring, metal washer, spring!

What the f*%k is the proper factory sequence?

Cheers,

R

I got it the way you got it out. This also makes the most sense as the o- ring can't be damaged by the spring this way. Also the o-ring closes the best this way. And....last but not least. .. it has worked like this before..

Thanks, okay73...

You think the way I found it is proper?  Just so we're clear...that would mean that when fitting the pilot screw back into the carb, I should put the spring on first, followed by the metal washer, and finally the o-ring...(meaning the o-ring would enter the carb first)?  Like I found it?

So, do you believe that the sequences noted in the FSM and the dealer's exploded view are inaccurate?  It seemed very odd to me...as if the previous owner might have goofed up or something.

Will it make any difference to how the bike runs?

Cheers,

R

OK, I'm trippin on this whole pilot screw thing..  I just bought a FCR MX 41mm flatslide for my XR650L... I swear when I disassembled it there was a spring, washer, and o ring on the pilot jet... but no way would it go back together like that ... could not even compress the spring enough to catch the threads... so I assumed it was from the fuel screw, since that one had no spring, o ring or washer upon dissasembly...

When I put it back together, the pilot goes in fine with nothing but the pilot. No spring, washer or O ring... in every FCR MX exploded view I see, there is no spring set on the pilot, just the jet.. But in the OEM carb exploded view, the pilot has all these things..

anyone care to comment ??

Thanks

Ok. Got it. I have been mistakenly calling the slow jet the pilot jet. And calling the pilot screw the fuel screw... nevermind...

Screw,,spring,,metal washer,,rubber o-ring and into the hole the lot goes..That is the correct order for the fuel/airscrew on XR/XL/XR-R..and FCR carbs

• Like 1

Thanks, okay73...

You think the way I found it is proper? Just so we're clear...that would mean that when fitting the pilot screw back into the carb, I should put the spring on first, followed by the metal washer, and finally the o-ring...(meaning the o-ring would enter the carb first)? Like I found it?

So, do you believe that the sequences noted in the FSM and the dealer's exploded view are inaccurate? It seemed very odd to me...as if the previous owner might have goofed up or something.

Will it make any difference to how the bike runs?

Cheers,

R

Like Horri said. The way you found it is correct

Bumping an old thread. Maybe this helps someone.

I have trouble getting a smooth idel even after rebild of the carb. So Im going back to check if I Installed the pilot screw the right way. So I made a picture to bring outside to the bike so I don´t (potentially) mess up again.  

So here´s my compilation of the information regarding the "sequence". .. But there´s one thing that causes me some confusion. When you say " Screw, Spring, washer, O-ring". That has to mean that first I put in the o-ring, then the washer over the o-ring, Then the spring on the washer, and finaly the screw goes through spring, washer and O-ring... right ?

dbdfbdfbdf.JPG

yes...............put in the carb

oring / first

washer / 2nd

spring / 3rd

screw / turn to specs or your best results

Edited by EarthCruzn

Dont mean to change subject, but kinda strange Horri stopped posting, and a while ago. Hope he's OK.