Sign in to follow this  

Accidentally found a quick turn throttle!

Was at the local stealership looking for grips for my buddies SM and he decided he wanted the EMIG ODI grips. Without researching at all (not even reading the package) I can't believe it turned out awesome.  The grips come with a throttle tube already attached to the grip and multiple tube cams for multiple bikes. Turns out the R6 cam fits and cuts the throttle turn down almost half. Gave his stock bike a nice lil throttle mod. He likes it alot, im picking up the grips this weekend to try for myself. $24.95 for grips and quick turn throttle....Not bad, I think.

20140611_215255.jpg

20140611_215303.jpg

• Like 5

Single or dual cable? Can you use different grips? I have "a certain someone's" quick turn throttle, one of the best and simplest mods for a street supermoto IMO

Details?  ive been wanting to get a shorter throttle tube too,  seems like at times,  i have to adjust me hand just to get the throttle all the way down.

• Like 1

Details? ive been wanting to get a shorter throttle tube too, seems like at times, i have to adjust me hand just to get the throttle all the way down.

It's a Motion Pro CR Pro throttle tube with a custom single pull throttle cable. The tube is butter smooth and eliminates the useless push cable. With dual cables my throttle would stick all the time, never an issue now. Still have perfect throttle control but very easy to whack it wide open. I got it from SSW a couple months ago with no issues but YMMV. Think it was like $70 though so this ^^ is a decent option. Some people modify an r6 throttle tube as a cheap quick turn as well

• Like 2

It's just another throttle tube, so uses both the stock cables. It is glued to the grip so unless you want to cut, scrape and whatever to get the grip off, you can't change grips

Was at the local stealership looking for grips for my buddies SM and he decided he wanted the EMIG ODI grips. Without researching at all (not even reading the package) I can't believe it turned out awesome.  The grips come with a throttle tube already attached to the grip and multiple tube cams for multiple bikes. Turns out the R6 cam fits and cuts the throttle turn down almost half. Gave his stock bike a nice lil throttle mod. He likes it alot, im picking up the grips this weekend to try for myself. $24.95 for grips and quick turn throttle....Not bad, I think.

It's a Motion Pro CR Pro throttle tube with a custom single pull throttle cable. The tube is butter smooth and eliminates the useless push cable. With dual cables my throttle would stick all the time, never an issue now. Still have perfect throttle control but very easy to whack it wide open. I got it from SSW a couple months ago with no issues but YMMV. Think it was like $70 though so this ^^ is a decent option. Some people modify an r6 throttle tube as a cheap quick turn as well

oh ok,  thanks for the info.

It's just another throttle tube, so uses both the stock cables. It is glued to the grip so unless you want to cut, scrape and whatever to get the grip off, you can't change grips

Dayum,  i kinda want to get a set too,  is it this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emig-Racing-ODI-V2-Lock-On-Grips-Blue-White-4-Stroke-Jeff-Emig-Signature-Grip-/181415858186?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3d3a500a&vxp=mtr

says LOCK ON grips,  im kinda confused,  id like something a bit quicker then stock,  but still want to use the 2 cable set up.  can you explain this like im a 3 year old with ADD.  

Yep, that's them. They use a set screw to lock on the other side and the throttle tube to lock that side on....in 3yr old ADD language = ugh get iiiitttt....haha

Yep, that's them. They use a set screw to lock on the other side and the throttle tube to lock that side on....in 3yr old ADD language = ugh get iiiitttt....haha

If you look at the ebay ad,  it says nothing about fitting a R6?  and the DRZ400 is not a model that it fits,  only has these

FITS:

HONDA

CRF250R 2004-2014

CRF450R 2002-2014

KAWASAKI

KX250F/450F 2002-2014

KTM

400-625 4-STROKE 200-2010 (ALL MODELS)

SUZUKI

RM-Z250/450 2004-2014

YAMAHA

WR250F 2001-2014

YZ250F 2001-2014

WR400F/426F/450F 1998-2014

YZ400F/426F/450F 1998-2014

Yep,  like I said, we didn't even read the package, but it comes with the piece to make it fit and it does. Actually the left side was side but it did fit.

Hmm, maybe I'm just slow but I'm still not 100% sure how it all works. I get that the grip comes on its own throttle tube, but having trouble seeing how it shortens the pull using the stock cables. I'm tired.. and it's late. haha

• Like 1

Uhhhh....in the first post....????

its a shitty pic though i want to see where the cables go to in the tube.
  • Like 2

I got the JEFF EMIG grips, you get what you pay for, well worth $24.95, it's so smooth easiest throttle i ever had. comeswith grips throttle tube other throttle cable hook up, mine fit drz400s 3/4 tube, the main thing is your cable ends must fit your or will not work. The other side slides on & tighten with Allen wrench, no need to glue or wire tie, these grips are way better than stock 100% better. Well to each there own, I will buy from hear on.

• Like 1

They make two models of those grips, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. If you go to the ODI web site they state the DRZ 400 uses the (I) throttle cam for $2 more. If you try to add anything to the cart you get an error. Other online vendors don't list the DRZ a fit, I have been wanting to try these but don't want to get a pair that don't fit. Anyone have the part number on the package with ones that have the correct cam or one that works.

thanks

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe I'm just slow but I'm still not 100% sure how it all works. I get that the grip comes on its own throttle tube, but having trouble seeing how it shortens the pull using the stock cables. I'm tired.. and it's late. haha

Still not sure here either,  dont want to spend 25 bucks on the wrong grips if i was to try this. 

its a shitty pic though i want to see where the cables go to in the tube.

I want to see a detailed step by step HD vid  :D

They make two models of those grips, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. If you go to the ODI web site they state the DRZ 400 uses the (I) throttle cam for $2 more. If you try to add anything to the cart you get an error. Other online vendors don't list the DRZ a fit, I have been wanting to try these but don't want to get a pair that don't fit. Anyone have the part number on the package with ones that have the correct cam or one that works.

thanks

+1

Just as RonStafario stated; these grips come with multiple snap on cams. Link below has mouse over pics for a better look.  I'm gonna get me some.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-On-Grips-Stroke-Graphite-H32EMHG/dp/B00IMW3KGE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1402664443&sr=8-9&keywords=jeff+emig+grips

That says its for 2 strokes tho?

Ron, quite a few bikes come with throttles that are slower than the rider wants, or somtimes so many degrees of rotation that a 'second grab' must be made. In my opinion, the latter is an engineering mistake, not just an inconvieninece, like the former.

'R6' has almost become synonymous with 'quick turn throttle'. The early R6 had a 40mm throttle spool, with the later R6 still having a respectable 37.5mm. The 40mm spool is an OEM part only; Motion Pro doesn't make the 40mm, only the 37.6mm.

Anyway, from Suzuki to Honda and even Kawasaki, people install the Motion Pro R6 tube to upgrade the throttle response. Another cheaper, quicker fix is to get a PVC coupler in the diameter you need, cut a ring with your miter box, and fit it on. Some people really get carried away with power tools, glue, and a bunch of trimming that often isn't necesary if you know how to adjust your cables down at the butterfly.

Check out this thread over on the Triumph BB for some simple ideas. http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-supersports/176720-tt600-quick-action-throttle-question.html

• Like 2