Sign in to follow this  

xt250 or crf250l? need some opinions

Hey guys, im new to the forum. Recently sold my ninja250 and got into the dual sport world. I did alot of research, lol but clearly not enough, on dual sport bikes prior to purchasing my current 13' yamaha xt250, but now after reading more and more on forums I feel like I should've looked at other options.

So Id like to get some opinions on whether you guys would choose the xt250 or the crf250? Keep in mind, my main reason I bought the xt250 is because the seat height and fuel injection. Im 5'6 tall and about 155lbs. Ive sat and rode on a KLX and WR and those were way too tall for me, i could barely reach the ground. I went to the dealer and sat on a crf250 but it felt as tall as the KLX for some reason but when i checked the specs online, its like 2 inches lower? I also got to sit on the xt250 and i could reach both feet almost completely flat on the ground. I like to go offroading and also use it as a daily commuter, but when i take the xt250 offroad where theres mud, hill climbs, riding over logs etc, it seems as if the xt250 is really not made for that, and id have to invest more money/upgrades in order for it to keep up with other bikes like the KLX and WR on serious offroading, but its easy for me to ride because I can reach the ground easily. I recently read the crf250 can be lowered by like 2 inches, and in general i know the bike is more powerful and costs less, and the suspension is much better. Would you switch to the crf250 in my case or no?

Any opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

the XT suspension isn't the best, but since you have the XT and like the lower seat height use it as step one.

lowering links work, but really compromise the suspension.

get used to the XT, then move on, your choice, no lowering links, you'll have a way better DS experience offroad.

cheap fix to increase your XT offroad experience, change a sprocket, 1 lower on the front or increase 3 on the back, either will make it better offroad.

Tires that are better off-road is a big improvement when off-road as the stock ones are heavily street biased.

This holds true no matter what dual-purpose bike you buy.

Also:

Practice learning how to ride the bike.

Would I switch the XT for the CRF250L?

Not me.

Edited by YZEtc

Might as well keep what you got.

That being said, I've owned lots of bikes over the years, but this little CRF250L I have is the funnest bike over ever owned!

It's more modern than your XT, but doubtful any better (never rode an XT, so can't say for certain). Probably best to fix up what you got, but if you got the money, you won't be unhappy with a CRF250L either. Big aftermarket for it because it shares a lot with the CBR250R.

Hey thanks for the opinion. Well as far as i have read, the CRF250L is the best "overall" dualsport out of the following 4: CRF250L, XT250, DR200SE, and KLX250S according to motorcyclistonline.com. I like the xt250, took it off road on some nice trails, just came back from Wayne National Forest down by Columbus, OH. Had no issues or struggles with hill climbs, getting through tough spots. But like i said above, i did experience the softness of the suspension alot, hit a few small jumps on the trails and bottomed out twice, so i stopped jumping lol. The factory tires id definitely say are 60/40 (street/offroad). Definitely could use alittle more power and an extra gear, would make the difference for highway cruising. Id definitely like to try out the crf250l to see the difference.  

Might as well keep what you got.

That being said, I've owned lots of bikes over the years, but this little CRF250L I have is the funnest bike over ever owned!

It's more modern than your XT, but doubtful any better (never rode an XT, so can't say for certain). Probably best to fix up what you got, but if you got the money, you won't be unhappy with a CRF250L either. Big aftermarket for it because it shares a lot with the CBR250R.

Hey thanks for the opinion. Well as far as i have read, the CRF250L is the best "overall" dualsport out of the following 4: CRF250L, XT250, DR200SE, and KLX250S according to motorcyclistonline.com. I like the xt250, took it off road on some nice trails, just came back from Wayne National Forest down by Columbus, OH. Had no issues or struggles with hill climbs, getting through tough spots. But like i said above, i did experience the softness of the suspension alot, hit a few small jumps on the trails and bottomed out twice, so i stopped jumping lol. The factory tires id definitely say are 60/40 (street/offroad). Definitely could use alittle more power and an extra gear, would make the difference for highway cruising. Id definitely like to try out the crf250l to see the difference.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'3" and 225 lbs, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I found the stock CRF250L suspension to be rather soft as well. I did a complete upgrade with Race Tech, and am happy as can be now, but the stock isn't great. Not bad, but not great. It's a mediocre suspension, with no adjustability except for some preload in the rear.

CRF250L stock is so-so power wise. A regear and a stage 1 completely wake it up and transform bike, but again, that costs money and should be considered. I did enjoy bike stock though and like it even more now.

The 6th gear is great! I regeared it for a snappier take off, but I can still manage 75MPH, 86 MPH if I tuck. Again, I'm tall, so I'm like a parachute in the wind haha. Someone a little smaller could probably get better too speeds. It'd be faster with stock gearing, but I like the extra oomph taking off.

In my opinion, the CRF250L is the best starting platform for making the bike you want, and it's great fun stock until that happens.

EDIT: and again, you could probably do all that to the bike you currently have. I chose the CRF for modern looks, 6th gear, fuel injection, and the all digital dash.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

If you want to jump and be totally bad ass, you're going to need a more hard core bike.  But before you can be totally bad ass, you need the skills.  Practice wheelies, smooth jumps, power slides, monster log crossings, and skipping across water.

Yea the 6th gear and 5 extra hp would be real nice for everyday/highway riding. My usual weekly routes include highway, and with the xt250 i dont go on the highway anymore because at 60-65mph or higher, front wheel gets wobbly from the wind.

Yea the 6th gear and 5 extra hp would be real nice for everyday/highway riding. My usual weekly routes include highway, and with the xt250 i dont go on the highway anymore because at 60-65mph or higher, front wheel gets wobbly from the wind.

My DRZ used to do that around 75 mph because of the way I had it set up.  Two things you can try.  Lower the forks in the triple clamps or ride with your head over the handlebars.  Riding with the head over the handlebars seems like an odd idea but try it.  I think the difference for me is that the wind was pushing me and my arms backwards weighting the handlebars and causing the bike to wobble.

Hey guys, im new to the forum. Recently sold my ninja250 and got into the dual sport world. I did alot of research, lol but clearly not enough, on dual sport bikes prior to purchasing my current 13' yamaha xt250, but now after reading more and more on forums I feel like I should've looked at other options.

So Id like to get some opinions on whether you guys would choose the xt250 or the crf250? Keep in mind, my main reason I bought the xt250 is because the seat height and fuel injection. Im 5'6 tall and about 155lbs. Ive sat and rode on a KLX and WR and those were way too tall for me, i could barely reach the ground. I went to the dealer and sat on a crf250 but it felt as tall as the KLX for some reason but when i checked the specs online, its like 2 inches lower? I also got to sit on the xt250 and i could reach both feet almost completely flat on the ground. I like to go offroading and also use it as a daily commuter, but when i take the xt250 offroad where theres mud, hill climbs, riding over logs etc, it seems as if the xt250 is really not made for that, and id have to invest more money/upgrades in order for it to keep up with other bikes like the KLX and WR on serious offroading, but its easy for me to ride because I can reach the ground easily. I recently read the crf250 can be lowered by like 2 inches, and in general i know the bike is more powerful and costs less, and the suspension is much better. Would you switch to the crf250 in my case or no?

Any opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

don't bother, the move to 250L is not a big enough upgrade.  I use to ride a XL125 and am still waiting for a mid size DS bike, waiting for the WR450R or CRF450L like other people.