Sign in to follow this  

Chain hitting frame

I just replaced the sprockets and chain on my 05 crf250r. 
After riding for a while I was checking that everything was good when I noticed groves on the frame where the chain runs along the slider on the upper side of the swing arm. 
I'm not sure all the damage is since I got the new chain as the splash guard is broken "apparent a sign of chain slap" and the bike is new to me. 
The new chain is an x-ring and I have it set to about 1 inch slack on the stand. But I think it could still hitting the frame, I can see the odd shiny groove, but nothing that looks like damage on the chain. Is there anything else I should be looking at for causing the side to side chain movement? or that could be hitting the frame just. 

Thanks

It has to be too loose then for it to move side to side that much. Heres how I tighten my chain: Ill have the bike up on the stand, loosen the axle nut and tighten the chain to a ballpark range of what looks right. Ill snug up the axle nut but not crank it tight. Take the bike off the stand and basically lean over the seat, grab the swingarm and compress the rear shock and while I have it compressed Ill wiggle the chain. I don't sit there and take measurements for how much up and down movement the chain can make. But I just get it so the chain is a little loose, not tight. More loose is better than more tight. The distance from the front and rear sprockets will change as the rear shock is compressed, you want to set the chain slack more according to the shock being compressed because thats how it will be during most of your riding. Sometimes this takes me a few tries. If its not right i throw it back up on the stand or put it on the triangle stand and tighten or loosen as needed. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Also what Im getting at here is that your chain might have 1" of slack while up on the stand. But on the ground with the rear shock compressed you might have 2-3" of slack. So check it the way I said and see what you come up with. For an X-ring chain to be able to move side to side that much it has to be pretty loose or wore out (although you said its brand new so that wouldnt be the case here).