Sign in to follow this  

What's the advantage of 18" rear wheel

I was wondering why the 18" wheel is always recommended when converting a mx bike to trails?

The taller sidewall is more resistant to pinch flats compared to the 19".  Plus it just looks mean  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

IMO, the most important thing by far is that and 18" wheel allows you to run a trials tire.  There are some conditions where a trials tire is astoundingly better than a knobby, and it is really nice to have that option.  

As mentioned above, the taller sidewall of an 18 " knobby provides greater protection against pinch flats.  In addition, in principle at least, the taller sidewall should provide a smoother ride (more flex).  In my experience though, having bikes with both 18 and 19 wheels with knobby tires, I don't really notice any difference.

For me, getting an 18" rear wheel is worth it, as I often ride in conditions where a trials tire really pays off.  If you have no intention of ever running a trials tire, I would say it's not worth the money to get an 18" wheel.

When  running the 18" rim, you still keep the 19" tire overall diameter with the 18" tire. That gives you a tire with  taller sidewall. With the taller sidewall, once you air it down, you will get more sidewall flex, more tire on the ground, and a tire that conforms to roots, and rocks without hitting the rim, causing pinch flats, and damage. Better rear suspension control is another plus

IMO, the most important thing by far is that and 18" wheel allows you to run a trials tire.  There are some conditions where a trials tire is astoundingly better than a knobby, and it is really nice to have that option.  

As mentioned above, the taller sidewall of an 18 " knobby provides greater protection against pinch flats.  In addition, in principle at least, the taller sidewall should provide a smoother ride (more flex).  In my experience though, having bikes with both 18 and 19 wheels with knobby tires, I don't really notice any difference.

For me, getting an 18" rear wheel is worth it, as I often ride in conditions where a trials tire really pays off.  If you have no intention of ever running a trials tire, I would say it's not worth the money to get an 18" wheel.

Both right and wrong at the same time.....

Some race series will not allow you to run a trials tire. But you can get some real nice XC tires nowadays that are even better than trials tires, and are legal. Many of those tires are not available in 19" If you are serious about using an MX bike offroad, an 18" rim, and offroad suspension are a huge advantage

Both right and wrong at the same time.....

I don't believe he was wrong just because he specified trials tire instead of any other option. Someone is either going to feel that a change to an 18" rear is desirable for tire availability or not. This is more than likely independent of whether they want a trials tire, xc tire or something like a MT16.

My #1 reason for preferring the 18" wheel is the sidewall, which helps prevents pinch flats.  #2 the bike handles better in the rocks, more "suspension" via the larger tire.  #3 is the 18" tire is easier to install.  #4 the bike is easier to sell with 18" wheel for offroad. 

The trials tire isn't a point for me because most places I ride are such a mix of terrain.  The trials tire is terrible in the mud, whoops, sand.  It's great for rocky riding though, which is what we do whenever we make it to Oklahoma.

Theyre heavier too, so those four stroke guys oughtta love them...since they love weight so much

:lol: .you made me laugh  :ride: