Sign in to follow this  

I have steering problem, do I need a bigger front wheel or what?

hello, I need help.  I have a mini bike  SSR 125 cc  inverted forks.  It refuses to steer in any sand, and or loose dry dirt, the front wants to go left then right at will, and requires constant correcting to go straight, which over an hour long ride is extremely tiring.  I have changed fork oil, replaced the bent front brake disk and dragging brake with new so that can no longer be the problem. I have tried several different adjustments to rear spring. (sac).  It seems to me, the small front wheel 14 inch is the problem, or the tire, or both.  I want to re-lace spokes with 17 inch to existing HUB, and put on 17 inch rim and tire.  I think this will help, unless there is a simple way you know.  It is not rider experience, I got 13 years of dirt racing behind me.   It is almost impossible to ride through dry sand beds, the sand grabs the front wheel and steers it where ever, until you crash.  This must be fixed before I end up in hospital.  Do you know of HOW I can get the parts I need to make a 17 inch front wheel?  (note: the rim has 32 spokes)

any input other than by a real bike will be welcome..   Thanks

As I mentioned in my other post bigger front wheel will pose other problems but I have tried it. To start you need to extend your existing forks or buy diff ones. I basically tossed most of a xr100 front end on. Kept the pit bike triple clamps but fork tubes and below were xr100 which also meant I had to use the xr drum brake on the front and lever. It was more stable after buy fealt a little slow and clumsy to react and the xr parts don't exactly fit the need a little love to make work and it won't feel very balanced when you jump... You get the picture I'm sure, but it will help in sand... Or just toss the skinniest least aggressive front tire you can find on. It will still suck in sand but not quite as bad.