Sign in to follow this  

Best sprocket setup

Whats the best setup for all round riding. Bit of track bit of trail. I want it to be a bit more punchy than it is now which is stock. Its a 2011 yz250f.

Any chance you can find a 51T used to throw on and just try out? We are not you, we most likely dont ride exactly like you or your tracks/terrain. I feel like the best thing anyone can do in this situation is try things out until they find what works for THEM. So, I would recommend maybe trying to be on the lookout for a super cheap rear, even again...used (but not destroyed). After that, you can spring the bucks for a good kit if you like it. Otherwise, you buy just buy a kit because some guy on the internet told you he liked it, you put it on, maybe hate it, but now its used.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 2

Depending on a rider's weight and ability most go for +2 on back or -1 up front. It's always cheaper to get a countershaft but more often than not the -1 up front is too low. I'm 165 before gear and ride A class and even on tight nasty trails +1 or +2 in back does the job, but for super nasty I do go -1 up front. But you wrote bit of track plus trail so that'd leave the -1 countershaft out unless you were a very heavy rider and/or not good at carrying corner speed.