USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ450 195 lbs. with stock .47 and 5.5 springs, and 45mm static sag

Hello I have a 2006 YZ450 that I have been working on being woods friendly through revalving the forks and shock.  I ride woods only and 6" and 195 lbs. According to the online spring calculators I should be fine with the stock springs- .47 fork and 5.5 ti shock spring. Upon setting my race sag to 105mm, I have 45mm rear static sag. This is with perfect swingarm/linkage and shock bearings. Shouldn't I be within 25-35 mm if its the correct spring?

My front race sag is only 45mm race sag and short of the 65mm standard. My front static sag is 22mm. This is with new bushings and SKF seals lubricated with oil and holding the front brake. I have no preload spacers, so only the regular 4mm of preload. According to this I need softer fork springs to get 65 mm front sag? 

I have 4" of fork travel left- even with removing 5 base valve 32.1 face shims and a 20.1 mid-valve shim.

Does the 25-35mm static sag rule not apply to the late model YZ's or what? The static sag is saying I need softer springs.

My other bike has the same static sag  numbers- a 2006 YZ250 2 stroke, with .44 and 5.1 ti shock spring, with the same sag numbers- Rear 105 race, 45 static, and front 45mm and 22 static. So its the same for both bikes. Is it just a YZ thing or the Ti Springs? The spacers and correctly installed on both shock springs.

My 250 has 3" fork travel left, same fork setup but with a 24.1 crossover on the basevale after the 5th face shim.

Do I really need softer springs? I do have extra Ti 5.1 and 4.7 shock springs, as well as .44 and .42 fork springs to try.

What spring rates should I be using for both bikes?

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

The ti springs are not very accurate in rate as they are very hard to manufacture well , it dies appear you need to go down in rates on both bikes , I would not go to 25 mm static but around 30-35 , upto 40 for mx and lighter riders

Try the 5.1 and 0.44 springs for sags , most us tuners go very stiff in springs due to big jumps very few riders actually ride on