Sign in to follow this  

2003 250SX Ignition Failure

I just started this thread on KTM Talk but thought I'd post it here as well to get maximum input .

Trying to figure out the source of the issue with a friend's 2003 250SX . Bike has good compression and power but it seems that as soon as the engine gets hot , it will shut off completely just as though you pressed the kill switch . I mean completely dead regardless of rpm .

Another buddy said that the 2003 250SX was prone to pickup coil failures , but ignition issues are something that I don't have much experience with . If the pickup coil is indeed going bad , will it act like this ?

We tried to take the bike on a trail ride tonight and barely made it 1 mile and it dropped dead in it's tracks .

Owner has just bought this bike and is super excited to ride as it's his first 2 stroke , but the bike is useless like this . I thought it might be a bad kill switch and completely removed it and it made zero difference .

yesm the pickup coil will do this. Also check the CDI box on the frame head, If the forks rotate too far the box can be crushed and can cause intermittent problems too.