Sign in to follow this  

XR250R Rear Suspension Topping Out

I have a new-to-me 2000 XR250R which I've been using on tight, root-filled single track.  Sag has been set at about 85 mm racing, and 30 mm static.  Rear shock is set at 8 out for compression and 4 out for rebound.  I get serious topping out of the rear shock when going downhill over the rocks and roots.  Even picking up the back of the bike I can feel distinct topping out.

Is this normal for these bikes or should I be getting ready to tear down the rear shock? 

Ian

I have a new-to-me 2000 XR250R which I've been using on tight, root-filled single track. Sag has been set at about 85 mm racing, and 30 mm static. Rear shock is set at 8 out for compression and 4 out for rebound. I get serious topping out of the rear shock when going downhill over the rocks and roots. Even picking up the back of the bike I can feel distinct topping out.

Is this normal for these bikes or should I be getting ready to tear down the rear shock?

Ian

What do you mean topping out? Bottoming out ??? Is the suspension compressed or not when you notice this?

Long live the Thumper..... Brrrraaaappppp!

What do you mean topping out? Bottoming out ??? Is the suspension compressed or not when you notice this?

Long live the Thumper..... Brrrraaaappppp!

Topping out is the opposite of bottoming out - shock fully extended.  Bottoming out is often "gradual" because of the rubber snubber that gets squished as the shock nears the end of its stroke.  An external snubber is not possible for the shock in the extended position.  Maybe there is some form of internal snubber?

Ian

Sounds like the rebound damping is either turned to full soft or just blown out. Take it off and send it somewhere for a service. They should change the oil and gas charge and repair anything internally that needs it. Probably around 200-250 dollars. Or, you can take a chance and buy a used shock off ebay for less but you might end up with the same thing.

Also, if it seems to rebound ok but just makes noise, check the mounts, bushings and linkage to see if parts are worn on them.

Also, if it seems to rebound ok but just makes noise, check the mounts, bushings and linkage to see if parts are worn on them.

+1 first thing to do when having any rear end issues  :thumbsup: