Sign in to follow this  

Steering Stem Bearings KLR 300

Ah crap,  has the front wheel off the ground,  noticed when you turn the bars if feels gravelly,  or almost like it's ratcheting!  So I'm pretty sure its bearing time.  and if I get that far into it,  I will replace the bearings,  not just grease em.  But the manual calls for several different specialty tools,  things like head pipe outer race driver, and press shaft  and ,  and steering stem  nut wrench , and bearing driver and adapter.

so someone tell me,  did you do it yourself?  if so did it require the special tools?  or should I just pull it,  bite the bullet and take it to a local dealer to change out the bearings?

Edited by carl johansson

Unless you have the will and the tools to drive the bearing race out of the frame you are pretty much stuck with taking it to someone who does. It is kind of like a wheel bearing in older cars. I would not assume the bearing is bad. Mine did the same thing a few years back so I disassembled it to the point I could get at the bearings, cleaned them up re-greased them, made sure the races were in good shape, put it all back together and it has worked fine ever since. What I noticed is that the old grease was dried and cracked giving it a notch y feel. Anyway for what its worth I would try that first. 

Unless you have the will and the tools to drive the bearing race out of the frame you are pretty much stuck with taking it to someone who does. It is kind of like a wheel bearing in older cars. I would not assume the bearing is bad. Mine did the same thing a few years back so I disassembled it to the point I could get at the bearings, cleaned them up re-greased them, made sure the races were in good shape, put it all back together and it has worked fine ever since. What I noticed is that the old grease was dried and cracked giving it a notch y feel. Anyway for what its worth I would try that first. 

OK I will give that a try!  thanks

No good,  bottom bearing completely shot.  Races in good shape though!  drove off the bearing using a big persuasion tool and a chisel.  now have to find the seal and get the correct bearings,  then figure out how to press it into place!

OK guys,  this ended up being the full Monte!  bearings and races.  Turns out it was no big deal.

First ordered up the rebuild kit from Rocky Mountain.  All Balls,  31 bucks

Took apart the front end.  

top bearing is just sitting there in it's cup,  no issues there,  but bottom bearing is a press fit onto the steering stem.   cut off the cage, uses a chisel and a 3 lb sledge to knock the bearing off the shaft

Took the bottom triple clamp with the shaft down to my local machine shop, he pressed on the new bearing for free  

So now its all about the races,

used a steel rod and a hammer to drive em out,  n either top or bottom was m uch of an issue.  

then used the old races to drive the new races into place and make sure they were seated flush!

grease up the bearing , and reassemble.  total work time is less than 2 hours.

Rocky Mountain has a good video on how to do it,  but they use 260 buck tools they want to sell you

this guy showed me the light

another new skill to add to my bike maintenance file!

Glad it all worked out for you. Having had mine partially apart and recalling experiences from my automotive days, it seemed possible to me you could do the work yourself without coming up with expensive tools. Thanks for sharing your experience to those of us who may face this task in the future.