Sign in to follow this  

Submerged Bike in Water

Well I knew it would happen at some point, but I managed to drop the bike in the river today. It was a super deep hole that I mis read, was probably almost tank deep. Rear tire kicked out and I lost my footing trying to save it. Bike is a ktm 200 2 stroke.

Complete engine submerge, but didn't totally drop the bike under. Exhaust was on the high side but probably got some in.

Pulled it out of the water immediately and pushed up to dry land. Gave it a few soft kicks to see if it got water in and it did haha. Pulled the plug, removed the entire exhaust and dumped water out. Tipped the bike on its side and let the fuel run out the fuel drain line for a little bit till it was obviously gas. Pulled plug and kicked bike over a bunch of times with no exhaust or plug. Got to where there was no visable water left coming out. Put it all back together and dried plug. Tried starting but never got it to run, almost fired a couple times but would just die immediately.

Walked to service and had the wife come get me, and rescued the bike. At home now, what all should I do?

It will kinda run but then dies, I know I need to pull the carb and clean it out and drain the gas and replace. Was thinking of pulling the tank, draining the oil and flipping the bike upside down to try and get any water out of the crank. Anything im missing?

Who else has dumped their bike in water?

I hit a 6" water hole one time and it turned out to be 5' deep instead. The bike completely submerged and seized. You will want to drain everything and take the carb apart and give it a good soak in carb cleaner. Just plan on water being in everything, flush both sides well and drain your tank.

• Like 2

Been through this several times sometimes two or three times in one ride.Get to dry ground pull air filter and wring it out as dry as possible.Pull out the spark plug.Turn bike upsidedown no not on it's side upsidedown and start crankin it over with the kickstarter pump out all the water.Kick till nothing comes out the spark plug hole.Put bike upsideup install that spare plug that all two stroke riders carry put that dry as possible air cleaner back in. Turn on fuel pull the choke kick or push till she fires.

Change your oil. Pull your stator cover to drain it. Ride it. DONT let it sit. Fire it up in the garage if you have to. Change the oil again. Pray.

• Like 1

Been there done that. Gotta get the water out and the engine dry as soon as possible.

+1 on post 3 & 4. 

If you can't get the filter dry, ride out with it off.

Got everything out as best as possible but couldn't get it running. A little bit of starter fluid gets it to fire but dies immediately. I wont be able to tear into it further till tomorrow night or sat at this point.

If there is a little bit of water in the crank case will sitting overnight be that bad? Its fairly flooded at this point, I held the kill switch and kicked it over a ton of times with the throttle open to get as much oil in the case as possible so it can sit for a short bit

Clean the carb water won't suck through the jets it plugs them so fuel won't and drain your tank if the water was that high. Get it running ASAP so everything dries out or the crank bearings will rust, skid, and ruin the rod

The worst thing you can do is let it sit with any sort of water in it. drain the carb. get fresh fuel in it however you can. You gotta run it to dry it asap. Rust can accumulate in only a matter of hours. 

since it has sat over night, the water and oil in the crankcase has likely separated.   I would drain the crankcase until oil comes out then  put the drain plug back in.  Water will likely come out first.  Make sure you are at the proper oil level. Drain the carburetor bowl.  Water collects in there.  There is usually a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl.  (shut the gas off first).  If you are sure you didn't get any water in your gas tank, then turn it on and try and get it to fire.  If there is any possibility that the gas is now mixed with water, drain the tank and install new premix and gas.  As mentioned make sure your air filter is dry.  Get this bike started.  The heat from running will evaporate most of the other water in the motor.  Ride is easy if you can then drain the case oil and put new oil in.  You should be good to go. 

Finally got back to the bike today (just after noon), I got a whole lotta water out yesterday before it sat. Today I pulled the tank and flipped the bike upside down and pulled the plug. Got a little bit of water out of the top end, not a ton though, put the bike in 3rd and spun the tire for a bit, got a wee bit more water out, but again not much.

Flipped it back over, pulled the flywheel side cover, no water in there. Pulled the float bowl, def some water in there. Pulled the jets and blew them and the carb out, then put it all back together. Poured some new gas in, cleaned the plug off and put the tank back on.

Bike fired second kick, warmed it up and held the rpm up a bit and held the kill switch a few times to get plenty of oil in the crankcase. Ran till it was good and warm, listened to the crankcase and nothing sounded out of ordinary, bike ran great. Going to change the trans oil again and go ride.

Ill report back if there is any long term damage. Ill be probably doing a top end soon so ill get a good inspection on the crank bearings just to be sure.

• Like 2