ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Newbie needs help identifying what FCR carb I have and jetting recommendations

Long time dirt biker, but new to dual sporting and SM. Just bought a '01 drz400e that has partially been converted to street legal. Supposedly it has a 436 kit and z-start pro, although I haven't been inside the motor yet. Heard it run, traded it cheap and now I'm going through carb and chassis first and then engine later. Question is, is this an fcr carb or what?! 39? 42? What size? Current jetting is 142rd main, 45 pilot, 65 air jet (next to the pilot), ocdv needle 4 clips from the top. 3.3 stamped on the needle jet and 3 turns out on the fuel screw. Big gun exhaust and i still need to confirm the 436 kit and if it has aftermarket cams. Yes on the 3x3 mod and I dont see an o-ring or wire on the squirter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First ride it didnt idle and would die when off the throttle, but the pilot was plugged big time!

Thanks guys!!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632453.741215.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632484.149376.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632512.193856.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632532.835762.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632549.234643.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632569.591279.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402632597.781823.jpg

Oh and 2600 home elevation in Idaho on up to 5,000. 80-90 hi temps right now.

Item 50 and screws laying on my bench, ad I've already pulled the carb apart. Just put one screw back in the bowl and cap to take the picture. Is this a decent carb in an '01 and if so, what should it be jetted at for good overall dual sporting?! 50/50 dirt and street.

Item 50 and screws laying on my bench, ad I've already pulled the carb apart. Just put one screw back in the bowl and cap to take the picture. Is this a decent carb in an '01 and if so, what should it be jetted at for good overall dual sporting?! 50/50 dirt and street.

You have the stock 39mm Fcr (Slant Body)

With snorkel removed ..at near sea level..

155 main jet..... 

200 main air jet (stock)

60 pilot air jet ..(stock)

Keihin OCEMN needle clip 3 or stock OBDXP needle clip 5 (in order of preference)

45 pilot jet..(stock)

2.25 turns fuel screw

Optional ,but recommended 

1) Remove Coast enrichener ...Join the ports on the carb with a left over piece of hose and cap the port on the head..http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/944289-bike-is-not-reving-outwhat-to-check-first/page__pid__9885029#entry9885029

2)Do the Eddie Mod if you have any bogging....http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890079&highlight=eddie+mod

3)To make easier pilot circuit tuning I recommend u get a R&D Flex Jet remote fuel screw...

You will need to slightly enlarge the fuel screw orifice on the bowl.,(with a drill) to install the Flex Jet...http://shop.thumpertalk.com/R-D-Racing-Products-Flex-Jet-Remote-Fuel-Screw-p4172471.html

Thanks Craigo!! So down one size on the mainjet and maybe lean the needle one notch if I'm at 2700 feet elevation and ride up to about 5,000 ft?! That sound right or what do you recommend thanks again for everyone's help!!

Thanks Craigo!! So down one size on the mainjet and maybe lean the needle one notch if I'm at 2700 feet elevation and ride up to about 5,000 ft?! That sound right or what do you recommend thanks again for everyone's help!!

If your always above 2,700 ft I would fit a 150 main jet and OCEMP needle , clip 3 (for open pipe)

This is presuming you have the big bore kit installed...

Yes, always above 2,700 and I'm going to open up the top end this wknd to confirm 436 kit and check valves. This is helpful. Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

Yes, always above 2,700 and I'm going to open up the top end this wknd to confirm 436 kit and check valves. This is helpful. Thanks again!!!

No worries mate......It won't take long to work out whether it's BB or not......

I should know if its a BB already, but I just rode it around the parking lot, bought it from my cousin, and then tore it all apart!!