Sign in to follow this  

Why don't I have to use my hot start?

07 CRF250R. I never have to use my hot start lever to start my bike after a stall on a hot engine. Not that I am complaining, it always starts first kick without it. In fact, if I do pull my hit start lever it's hard to start. Doesn't the hot start lean your mixture? I thought this might be a symptom of jetting. Otherwise it runs perfectly, cold or hot. Strange...

My dads 250X is like that. When he pulls the hot start lever in on a hot engine it will not start.

• Like 1

Part of the art of carb tuning, carb tuning is about as much art as it is science. My bike likes the hot start when it's really hot, like riding slow trails on a hot day , but otherwise starts easy without it. It doesn't ever need choked, but it's very hard to start if it's cold outside, like 40deg or less it takes 20 kicks. 50 deg and up I can start it in about three kicks cold, one or two warm.

Mike , your probably running a 42 slow jet , right. I run a 45 and have to use my hot start all the time when warm.

Hi if you have the correct pilot jet for your motor set up and the fuel screw is set spot on you will not need the hot start,if you are overly rich on your pilot jet and your fuel screw is to far out you will have to use it all the time,a good starting engine is one that has lots of oxygen in that hot cylinder that is why your bike starts good,lots of people run there bikes with the fuel screw to far out and with to small a pilot jet just makes for bad hot starting and pulling the hot start helps to correct this situation.Yours must be very close to being spot on.

Mike , your probably running a 42 slow jet , right. I run a 45 and have to use my hot start all the time when warm.

Hi if your having to use your hot start all the time when warm go in on the fuel screw a little then it will not need it so much.

In the colder months I had to go up to the 45 because it seemed so lean, and started well with that. But now with the warmer weather it's gotten harder to start, I've turned my screw in to 1 1/2 turns, so I think I will try the 42 for the summer months. Interesting that you say you shouldn't need the hot start if it's set up right, I guess it's for when you lay it down and some fuel runs into the intake? Thanks for the info Martin.