Have any of you guys rode the rubicon

Riding the rubicon coming up in July, throwing a trials tire on for it ,mI will be on my 2009 wr250f thinking of changing the gearing also for the ride.

Any of you guys rode it? What should I expect

Going with a group of jeeps so I'm not expecting to move fast

I have never heard of ANYBODY doing it twice on a motorcycle.  :naughty:  And I've been doing this for awhile.

It's fun on a trials bike I've been told.  ? ?

I would like to meet this Goober!  :goofy:

Edited by superslyko

I rode it last year on my 650L.

It is rocks - lots of baby heads - but not excessively tough.

I am probably going to do it on my BMW GS800 this year.

The actual Rubicon is very short - 11 miles.

It takes Jeeps 2 days usually - I think it took us on bikes about 2 hours.

The rocks get tiresome - and I don't rate it as a very fun motorcycle ride.

I am going there next weekend with the old lady.

She has a Jeep me and a buddy built from the ground up.

It goes through there pretty damn easy now.

When in a Jeep - it is more of a social event then anything else.

If you are with Jeeps - you will have plenty of free time.

You can walk faster then Jeeps go through there.

If with friends - you will have fun.

I always do up there.

I rode the 'con on my 690 on 8-9-10 (my birthday!) and did not find it especially difficult. Beautiful scenery, but as stated above, it is only about a 2 hr ride on the momo. I did it just to say that I had, but it isn't worth the 1000+ mile round trip to do it again. I have seen quite a few pictures of it since then and it looks as if El Dorado Co is really trying to smooth it out so that any jo-blo can drive through there again (it is, afterall, a county road.)

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

Edited by TheLetterJ
  • Like 3

+1 for all the previous comments. It's fun enough for a once a year visit if you live in the area. Trials tire and lower gearing are a good idea, but not necessary. I wouldn't do it with a bunch of Jeepers though - that'll take forever! Just leave the bike behind, ride shotgun with somebody and get drunk and enjoy the day(s). I'd loose patience with my friends if I did it on a bike while they had 4 wheels.

I have an annual broncos on the Rubicon trip coming up at the end of June. Last year my buggy was downxso I rode my bike with a buddy. It took us a few hours to get to buck island. First time in the rock ad my buddy was having a hard time. The next day I was flying through the trail. This year I might run my bike again if I can get my bronco going. Maybe I'll make it a night run....fun

I have heard u can walk this trail faster than the 4x4's can make it thru    :lame:

It don't look fun at ALL on a bike , there's plenty of other great ST up there to ride ? though!

Not quite true, a reasonably well set up (and still street driveable) 4x4 can get through in less than a day if they really wanted to. I think most of the people that use the trail just want some nice scenery to camp at and get away from civilization. Having some tough sections along the way just adds to the fun. If you want difficult, go ride Dusy-Ershim, or closer to the Rubicon there is Fordyce but I don't want to turn my scooter into a submarine so I'll leave that one alone! There are no "hike-a-bike" sections on the Rubicon, it is all rideable so I don't see it crossing the line into the "not fun" realm.

If your not good on the clutch or not familiar with riding through rocks you will get butthurt riding through. It is a beautiful trail with a few hard sections and quite a bit of fast dirt sections or open slabs. Its not for everyone. As far as walking faster than the cars, that is bs. It all depends on your lines. I can take my bronco from loon to buck island (3/4) the trail in about an hour no traffic at night. Most people drive slower and stop a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

done part of it on a xl600r on a july 4th weekend. lot's of crawlers. they are all really friendly folk. I can't count how often I was offered beer or dope, whenever I took a break on the side of the trail... might go back at the end of the summer (august/september) if it doesn't snow early.

Edited by cynicryder

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to try to camp at Loon Lake next Wednesday and Thursday and then go to my brother's house in Placerville on Friday. I have not ridden that area in about 40 years.

I was planning on riding the Rubicon maybe for one day but is there any other good ST in the area.

Any suggestions? Anything up high so it would be cooler? We will have a truck to transporticon1.png the bikes to staging areas for day rides within an hour or two.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by bobc1