Sign in to follow this  

NYC Supermoto suspension set up

hey guys

im debating on how much to modify my bike. on one hand i really dig the classified moto bikes and that was my orig goal. but im having tons of fun riding my bike stock with all the pot holes around the city.

what are your thoughts on this and has anyone set up their suspension specifically for nyc rediculously horrible roads?

Well it depends how much you weigh. Whats the bike? Stock suspension? Yiu talking clicker adjustments or going into the fork? Clicker just go full hard and click back till it performs right. But my suggestion would be to get progressive springs.

Then of course specific valving. But at least spend a couple hundred on springs.

Just not too stiff on the compression. Youll get bucked off

My very next suggestion is to get a cush hub or like sprocket. That NYC stop and go will be hard on your tranny youll feel the difference trust me.

Another great feeling is a steering stabilizer. Worth every penny. I can show you a cheap way to set one up.

this is the extreme end of what im considering:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/109704940897546521/

usd forks and a single sided swingarm. but this would bring it to sport bikish level. and i dont want that. i like the stock suspension on my xr so far. so i dont think ill go the above route. just want to see what others are doing in nyc to accommodate pothole city.

im open to suggestions all around. i weigh 175

I would expect the stock suspension and wheels to be close to optimal for dealing with potholes.  Going to a 17" front wheel to make it a supermoto will not be as good at handling potholes than the stock 21" front wheel.

Get some tires that work well on the street, like Shinko 705 or IRC GP-110, and just ride the thing.

At least, that's my opinion. ;)

I was gonna say go 19 on the front. Great suggestion. Either way usd or not, keep longer travel. I have a sport bike front end with a 17 and i liked the stock forks with a 17 better for shitty roads. Of course stock with a 21 was best but i like the performance i get when im in the mountains so i keep the street front end on.

I like that bike up top but mine was built first (showoff ;)

By the way. My set up is

Xr600

03 R1 forks resprung with progressives

5 lines on preload

12 clicks comp/ 8 on reb (from full in)

Xr600 shock with 11.5 eibach

Revalved for street

8 clicks out up top

5 clicks out below

235Psi nitro

Mobil 1synthetic ATF in both

I weigh 170

I do adjust to harder when i go in the twisties or track, i need it a little softer for traintracks and potholes even driveways, shoot, road debris! That's a huge thing. I had to pop a wheelie over a big truck hubcap while lane splitting on the 110 in LA. It bumped my rear tire off the ground. It was shady for sure. Only reason i pulled it off is cause i ride dirt

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

thanks guys. i think im leaning towards something like the top green bike and the bottom dark colored bike on this link. im a designer and cant ignore aesthetics. ill have to find a balance between ride height/suspension performance and aesthetics. green bike is probably too low for my needs.

http://crossedpurpose.lincolnblack.com/tag/xr600/page/5/