Sign in to follow this  

EXC LED headlight

Hey guys, I'm after a bit of advice. I purchased the following LED globes off eBay for a laugh. http://ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402669587.155023.jpgpages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291056505928

Once I got them home, I fitted them to the bike and started her up, the light they spat out is incredible, and they worked fine while the bike was running at idle, however, as soon as I threw a leg over, put her into gear and began to turn the throttle, the lights just shit off and stopped working. I checked the globes and could distinctly smell a strange smell from the globes.

Does anyone know what may have caused this? And does anyone know what I need to do in order to allow the lights to work when the bike is in motion?

Appreciate any feedback.

Maybe they over currented and blew? Put a volt meter on your battery and Rev the bike up. If the voltage gets much over 14v then that might be the problem. LEDs are sensitive to over current, more so then incandescent bulbs. If the voltage goes too high and the current limiting circuitry on the LED is passive and not active then that can lead to over current.

Over on ktmtalk there is a guy that came up with an LED bulb specifically for bikes and it has been getting great reviews, check it out.

Maybe they over currented and blew? Put a volt meter on your battery and Rev the bike up. If the voltage gets much over 14v then that might be the problem. LEDs are sensitive to over current, more so then incandescent bulbs. If the voltage goes too high and the current limiting circuitry on the LED is passive and not active then that can lead to over current.

Over on ktmtalk there is a guy that came up with an LED bulb specifically for bikes and it has been getting great reviews, check it out.

Thanks for the help, I'll hit up KTMTALK and see what it's all about.

All the led lights I have say they are good up to 48volts or so. But they do require dc and are polarity sensitive. Either you have a bad connection, still running ac or have a shitty ebay light.

All the led lights I have say they are good up to 48volts or so. But they do require dc and are polarity sensitive. Either you have a bad connection, still running ac or have a shitty ebay light.

I'm pretty sure my bike still is running AC current. Is it a big job to change to DC? Can anyone tell me how? My brother is an electrician so once we know what to do it should be pretty easy for him.

The very first thing you need to do is check the light. Hook it directly up to a 12volt battery. I have used car batteries, bike batteries, and ever cordless tool batteries. Shit even a 9 volt battery should light it up. As long as what ever you are using is charged. If you have a multimeter you can verify this. 

As for the dc conversion I did mine with a trail tech kit. I didn't want to screw around with it. Kit works well as i easy to install. Just make sure you order a gasket for the cover as it won't come in the kit.