Ron Hamp's Cam = Incredible Power

I just wanted to give a shout out to Ron for both his incredible cam & spring combo and top notch customer service.  So far, my son has raced the first two rounds of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Nationals in the 250 class with Ron’s cam and it has performed way beyond our expectations.  We had very little time to test the cam before the first round, although my son did say the bike had a big power increase throughout the entire range and now pulled nearly the same as his ’13 450!  When my son got off the track after the 1st timed qualifying practice at Glen Helen, I asked him how the bike performed against the others on the track.  With a big grin on his face, he replied “I was pulling almost every other bike up Mt. Saint (Glen) Helen.  For those of you that haven't watched the race at Glen Helen first hand, TV doesn’t give the nearly vertical hill climb any justice.  At that point I was the happiest guy in the pits knowing our low budget $1k motor was pulling bikes with over $5k invested.  I knew I made the right decision going with Ron, his cam is worth every penny! 

On the customer service side, simply put, Ron is one heck of a nice guy willing to share his wealth of information… something that is seldom seen in these fast pasted busy times. I spoke with him several times on the phone and each time he took the time to explain what options I had within my budget and how I would get the best bang for my buck.  He’s definitely more interested in your bike making power then him making extra cash.  Ron certainly knows his stuff and I would recommend him to anyone!  Thank you Ron for your dedication to our sport and for providing both your knowledge & exceptional products to us privateers.

Bike Set-up

2014 CRF250R

Ron’s race cam and springs

Oversize 24mm buckets

JE 14.2:1 piston

ECU remapped by Ron

FMF 4.1 RCT with MegaBomb header

VP MR-Pro6 or U4.4

• Like 3

Mike all the cams that are now being used in the mx bikes are race cams the new Yamaha has the biggest cam yet of all of them and its performing about as swell as most of the new cams being tried in that model most of my cams are similar duration to what comes in your bike they just have more aggressive profiles requiring springs to control the valves and larger buckets to accept the faster opening rates up towards the higher lift areas.

Thanks for the feedback. Was the head CNC ported as well

Nope, the head wasn't ported. Porting was one thing that Ron and I discussed, since the '14's head already flows well a cam & springs, combined with a high compression piston, would be the best choice for my budget. Porting will be included with the next round of mods along with a Moto Tassinari air boot and a Vortex ignition.... that is, when I get the extra cash or my son picks up a financial backing sponsor. ?   I thought amateur racing was expensive, at the Pro level add another 0 to expenses such as license fees, class race fees, fuel, etc.

• 2 weeks later...