Sign in to follow this  

2007 shifting problems.

I was having problems with the shifter lever feeling really loose and it popping out of gear on my KX250f. I pulled the right side case cover and clutch and found I broke a pin. I just did a rebuild on the bike going from 2007 case that I cracked to a 2006 case thats now also broke.

I will post pictures when I get home of the 2007 case I cracked and now the 2006 case and how's it broke.

My question is should I try to get a 2008 case?

Also how did I break the second case

If you arent buying pairs of cases, they need to be sent off to be matched.

If you arent buying pairs of cases, they need to be sent off to be matched.

so you are saying my problem is caused by not having matching cases? and it wont happen again?

also a little info to help its a pro circuit built engine well it was until i cracked the 07 case now it has a fresh rebuild with all internals swapped into 2006 case. i race almost every weekend and i ride prolly 3 to 4 times a week oil is changed every weekend and everything checked and tighten before every race. I run Kawasaki fully synthetic 10w 40 in it and have a stainless oil filter.

last race i raced i got tied up with another racer leaving the gate ( i hate racing in snow) and went down hard on my right side. the next week i notice the shifter was sloppy and hard to shift up from second and the lever would stick up until you completely cut off the throttle and it fall into neutral so i started to investigate and found that pin was broke.

my buddys are telling me since i got the 2014 kx450f to just trade in my 250 and get the brand  new 2014 kx250f  but i have way to much time an money wrapped up in this 250 to just let it go

IMG_20140411_133518_755_zpsos8hzc3z.jpg

IMG_20140411_133444_969_zpscej4tujs.jpg

IMG_20140411_133528_539_zpsoov2qdrq.jpg

Custom powder coated

Frame

Swing arm

sub frame

all in Neon Yellow

Pro circuit built engine engine was sent off and they did a full build on

Pro circuit water pump

Pro circuit air fuel screw

Pro Circuit hot start

Pro circuit Ti-4 Complete exhaust

Pro circuit engine dress up kit

Pro circuit Fork valves tuned at 160lbs

Pro circuit hole shot device

Pro circuit rear shock and spring set for 160lbs

Pro circuit throttle tube

Pro Circuit Clutch perch

Pro Circuit front brake line guide

Pro Circuit Seat cover

Pro Circuit axle blocks

EBC oversized Front brake rotor and caliper mount

ARC Break away levers

Works Connection radiator gaurds

KYB blue radiator hoses

Carbon Fiber Works skid plate and engine covers

Hammer Head Brake lever

Mika Metal bars

Renthal sprockets

Pro Circuit lowering Link

wow.  :jawdrop:  It is very well possible that the reason you broke the case is because it wasnt matched. Not going to say anything for sure because I do not really know, but if I had to throw a guess out there, thats it.

wow.  :jawdrop:  It is very well possible that the reason you broke the case is because it wasnt matched. Not going to say anything for sure because I do not really know, but if I had to throw a guess out there, thats it.

okay well im gonna be ordering a complete case but i was curious if i should try a newer case like the 2008 or if i can even go newer. ive read other people having simalar problems and it being the spring on the shift fork was mine bad and this is the reuslt of not realizing it?

I have no experience with the shift fork spring, so I cannot comment. And I am not sure about case similarites, I think 06-08 were the same and I am 100% sure 09 had changes. I dont know what to say to fix the problem. You could check an 08s cases and see if they will work and if they will then I would go ahead and give that shot. 09 brought around great changes and it is regarded as one of the better kx250fs made, maybe the best.

I would think that pin could be broken with a crash or by a lot of force up or down on the shifter.  All it does is hold a spring.  Maybe the contact caused something to over torque the shift lever.  As for the cracked cases, if you had two in the same bike I would suspect something else.  Are the bolts all OEM (or at least 10 mm or 8 mm?)  Did everything line up perfectly, or did you have to force the bolts in?  If they were tight going in, maybe your frame is bent.  Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

The cases do come as a pair from the factory.  I could see where mis-matched cases could maybe cause stress that could lead to a crack, but I honestly don't know.  

Are you sure that is a crack, and not a casting artifact?  It sure looks like a crack, but I had what I thought was a crack once, and it turned out not to be.  Just checking to be sure.  Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Its a crack on the first case you can apply pressure and watch it flex. The other case just the pin broke. It just sucks have to split the case again... But it is what it is.

And I'm gonna replace both sides with a 2008 and there all OEM bolts and had no problems with it lining up. It was a struggle but alot easier than I thought it would be.