Sign in to follow this  

Great books?

Hey all,

Looking to find some good reads on motorcycling but dirtbiking is the main focus. Am looking to get "Mann of his time" a story of Dick Man, and "John Penton and the off road motorcycle revolution". Was hoping to also get Malcolm smiths autobiography but he keeps pushing back the release date. What are some other good dirtbike related books? Not looking for How-to's but rather stories of racers and engineers, stories of companies etc. what y'all got?

Superhunky, Rick Siemam.

Two of his books, Monkey Butt and the newly released The Last Ride are both great reads.

Reset to 80.1 by Ed Hertfelder if you can find it as well.

Try Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Absolutely, but about far more than motorcycling.

Mike

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting this book. I requested it for Christmas and just finished it. Just ordered the sequel 'Lila' as well. It's honestly changed my life and how I think and view the world. It's amazing that being a rider would bring so many different opportunities and experiences into someone's life that aren't even related to riding itself. Hell if I wasn't a rider I wouldn't be on this forum and would never had known about that book. Highly suggest it to anyone else who hasn't read it. Thanks ya! And may your life be filled with quality!! Haha

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting this book. I requested it for Christmas and just finished it. Just ordered the sequel 'Lila' as well. It's honestly changed my life and how I think and view the world. It's amazing that being a rider would bring so many different opportunities and experiences into someone's life that aren't even related to riding itself. Hell if I wasn't a rider I wouldn't be on this forum and would never had known about that book. Highly suggest it to anyone else who hasn't read it. Thanks ya! And may your life be filled with quality!! Haha

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was required reading for one of my core engineering classes in engineering school. At the end of the semester, we critiqued it as it related to "Caring", and the high calling of Engineering.

Like you, I figured there was possibly more to read from Pursig. He wrote "Lila" many years after "Zen". You're going to read it no matter what I tell you, and you'll be disappointed. I'd love to hear your take on it from the perspective of "Zen" when you're done.

I read that book when it first came out, I still have my hardcover first edition.  I was young and heavily into street bikes at the time, and that book changed the way I looked at riding and life in general.  Over the years I've recommended it to countless people, and will continue to do so.

I just started reading " Mind of the Demon. A memoir of Motocross, Madness and the Metal Mulisha" It's Larry Linkogle's story. I'm not very far in but so far it's pretty good. It's supposed to be about his ascent to success and descent to hardcore drug addiction and thuggery and then turning his life back around. Supposed to have a lot of history on the start of freestyle motocross from one of the founders.

• Like 1

Superhunky, Rick Siemam.

Two of his books, Monkey Butt and the newly released The Last Ride are both great reads.

I'll also mention Wally Klamer's Dirt Bike Chronicles. Could be my favorite Dirt Bike book out there, good, down to earth writing from a great rider perspective.

Superhunkys The Last Ride is written as one story, and makes you want to go on an adventure immediately after putting it down.

A great book to read is Take it to the limit  ,The Dave Mungenast way . This man new all the great people in motorcycling in the golden days of riding . He knew people like Steve Mc Queen Malcom Smith John Penton  and on and on . In 1981 I wanted to buy a 81 cr250r  it was the first water cooled 250 and first single shock aka PRO-LINK but I had no credit  so being the owner of St.Louis Honda he under wrote the loan so I could get the bike.That started my credit and I still have good        credit today .I still have the bike and am restoring it right now in hopes of getting it in his vintage motorcycle museam.Good book Great man. I could write all day about him because he did so much for me  and everybody that lucky to know him RIP Dave and thank you.

Superhunky, Rick Siemam.

I'm going to order "The Last Ride", its fiction but looks like an interesting read.

Try "The man who would stop at nothing" by Melissa Holbrook. An incredible story of an Iron Butt Rally Rider who rode from Prudhoe Bay Alaska to Key West Florida, non-stop, in 85 hours. The dude is a wild man pinning his throttle in the rain at 120 mph for kicks just to break the rear tire loose on his Yamaha sport tourer.  A great read.

I just started reading " Mind of the Demon. A memoir of Motocross, Madness and the Metal Mulisha" It's Larry Linkogle's story. I'm not very far in but so far it's pretty good. It's supposed to be about his ascent to success and descent to hardcore drug addiction and thuggery and then turning his life back around. Supposed to have a lot of history on the start of freestyle motocross from one of the founders.

i just finished it. he seems like a douche "or at least he was" but it was a great book. it was very entertaining and alot of funny antidotes. its kinda like a rock star biography but for dirtbikers.