Sign in to follow this  

California Where do you ride in California in the Summer to beat the heat?

Summer is here and it is almost too damn hot to ride.   During the Summer I typically get up at the crack of dawn and pack up by 11 am.  Even then you still have to deal with the heat.  I am near Bakersfield and in the dead of summer, I have seen it 90 degrees at 8 in the morning.  I would like to find a place to ride that will be a relief from the heat. 

I only know of one place that is cool at this time of year.  Oceano Dunes.  I love going there but there are too many idiots crammed into a small area and I dont feel like getting ran over by a dune buggy. 

I would love to find some trails, single track, just a fun place to ride.  My bikes are all green sticker. 

I look forward to hearing suggestions. 

Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Eastern Sierra area.  

• Like 1

Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Eastern Sierra area.  

I will see if I can schedule a trip out there.  That is a long drive for me and wont be a day trip but will definitely be a fun weekend.  What is a good source for trail maps? 

Anywhere in the Mojave desert should do.  Never heard of 90F weather at 8am here..  ever. 

Then of course there is the mountains.  :thumbsup:

I grew up in the Mojave desert so I know about the heat that is there.  I grew up in Ridgecrest.  Not really looking for 118 degree weather.  The mountains are definitely an option.   Any suggestions close by.  I was out riding near Lake Isabella a few weeks ago heading up Keysville but was still very hot and dry. 

I will see if I can schedule a trip out there.  That is a long drive for me and wont be a day trip but will definitely be a fun weekend.  What is a good source for trail maps

These work http://www.jawbone.org/foj/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=19&Itemid=160&vmcchk=1&Itemid=160 

There is little single track over there though, just got back from a three day trip in mammoth. You can come ride the Sierras or the sequoias too.

Edited by Mckay

I grew up in the Mojave desert so I know about the heat that is there.  I grew up in Ridgecrest.  Not really looking for 118 degree weather.  The mountains are definitely an option.   Any suggestions close by.  I was out riding near Lake Isabella a few weeks ago heading up Keysville but was still very hot and dry. 

I'm a little south of Bartow...  We've had great breezes so far so temps never hit 90-100 till afternoon this spring.  I am just riding early now.

You really have to get up high out of Lake Isabella to escape the heat.  Kennedy Meadows is open and good weather these days.

Km typically 65 to 75 all summer long. Not too far from bako.

Km typically 65 to 75 all summer long. Not too far from bako.

Consult the seriously technically baking riding thread for more info..

First, get a plated bike or plate your bike in AZ. Next, think "like an Indian" and head for the mountains! The serrano people would spend winters in the dez then come up to the San Bernardino mtns in spring/summer for harvesting pinon pine seeds and other goodies...also escaping the dez heat in the process. Check out Big Bear "Big Pine Flats", good green sticker trails (may be at risk of forest closures w/ this dry summer ahead), the "Cactus Flats" area is tons of fun but lower in elevation and hotter but way more trails/areas available to green sticker bikes. Then also there is "the Pinnacles" near Lake Arrowhead. It's dry but fun and can take you all over the lower SB mtns....Malcom Smith trail is there.

I second the Mammoth comment, it's a bit too easy but if you go in the fall, you can see amazing autumn colors at 9k elevation, some snow, some mud....good times just not that challenging (if you want difficult, head over to "Woodcutters" near the White Mtns....Bishop area.

Have fun stay cool :goofy:

Awesome ideas on where to ride. I am trying to get my wr plated so that would definitely be a good idea. Getting my the bike plated is hit and miss here but that is another subject.

Yes, My WR450 is Green sticker.  I think all the WRs were starting in 06. 

Yes, My WR450 is Green sticker.  I think all the WRs were starting in 06. 

i will pm you in regards.