Sign in to follow this  

Help 2005 KTM 200EXC

Hi Guys,

Please walk me through this process, help me!!!

I biought this bike from my friend, original owner. It has 150 hours, 2500 miles, Is in prestine condition. He installed Rekluse clutch right off the bat when he bought it. Went out riding 2-3 years ago, after the ride when he got, home, he found the bike stuck in gear.

I got the bike today, wheel would turn not as stuck as it was 2 years ago, it would be buggy but would turn, then I fired up the bike, took it for a 100 yard spin, runs fine but gear wouldn't budge changing.

I opened the clutch cover, removed the plates but got to those last 4 bolts, I could not open them as it would turn and I could not hold the part (not sure what its called) to undo the bolts to get to the shaft lever and see what's happening.

Put everything back together the way I got it apart (I think), but now the wheel is stuck very good, would not budge and I could not start the bike.

Please help understand what's happening, this should not be major, if you help me I am sure we can find out what the problem is.

Thanks!!!

pics to follow..

Also it only has one weird spring in the middle and bunch of tiny star head screws pushing the plate over that spring. The spring doesnt snap anywhere in place, its hard to keep 100% centered but I suppose I did that. is there a method to adjust the gap?

This is a clutchless mechanism...

Will the bike go into neutral while not running? If not and its just completely stuck in gear regardless of running or not, your problem is not with the actual clutch. Ive seen people fall on the left side of the bike and a rock or something push the shift shaft in and basically "pop it off" of the shift mechanism.

No, it doesn't go to neutral.

I have to remove the basket to see the shifter shaft.

I need an impact wrench to remove the nut.

I hope it's that simple and not tranny.

Thanks for the assist Squid, I know better then to post before the coffee kicks in :facepalm:  My bad

I think most people would have understood but if you'venever heard that there is two it could have been confusing. Now I can't recall does he have to drain the coolant to remove the coolant. 

• Like 1

ok the experts have not had their coffee yet so my first thing to ask is - does he shifter lever have a lot of play when you try to change gears, like 11/2 or  2 inches? if so first I,d look in on opposite side of motor from shifter at the shaft end and claws that mesh with the shift starr . its a little silver part about near the back of your cases,  if the claws are not engadging on the star try pushing them in then gently work the shifter lever from the other side while still holding pressure on claws- try rocking the bike back and forth a little while trying to shift . if no luck on shifting it resort to plan B

Plan b would be to pull the shift lever off and slip out the shifter shaft and roll it on the table and see if its bent

plan c drop the tranny oil an get a magnet and troll for metal in your oil.

next would be splitting the motor apart to have a look squid is an expert at this and probably had a coffee by now or at leasr know some thing I failed to mention, good luck.

• Like 1

Please see this...KTM 200 exc Stuck in gear:

hmmm, good video, I never ran my through the gears where I could see that so I'm not sure what to look for. But what do you "feel" does it feel like the gear shifter is clcking like when it shifts? You may need to rotate/rock the rear tire back and forth for it to shift properly in that position. 

It clicks yes and I have been rocking the wheel,no luck: (

Going downshift,lever moves very little. Up shifting lever moves much more like that 1+ inch

rock that bike as you try and down shift but yes your engadged,i wouldn't guess your shaft is bent from looking at that.

Rock the bike? Is it possible I'm stuck in first gear. Before taking it apart, I ran the bike it felt it was in first gear.

When you say rock the bike,you want me to put the cover back,stand it and rock it left and right?

damaged shift fork or drum is my early guess- good up travel and shit down movement something is jaming

any crap in the tranny fluid?

• Like 1