Sign in to follow this  

New 2011 450

I just pick up a 2011 crf450r and the thing rips a new one! I just have a few questions about maintenance. I plan to do about 50/50 riding track and trails (pits, ect) so how often should I change the oil and whats the best type of oil for these bikes? Also should I replace the oil filter every oil change? And is there anything else I should know of and stuff to look out for? Oh and here are some pics of the beauty.

thanks,

jake

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9190.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

Keep up with valve adjustments. Oil changed should be changed between 5 and 10 hours depending if your really screaming it. I would change the filter every time, its cheap and your bike will love you for it. Use maxima or honda gn oils.

Also how do I know when to check the valves?

Never check them!

I have an 11 as well that I bought new in summer of 2010. My intake valves are still in perfect spec. Never been shimmed once! And my exhaust side only tightened up .003 of an inch. And this is after riding almost every weekend!

In all seriousness, if your bike becomes harder to start then normal that means you're intakes are closing up and need adjustment. But I recommend you check them regularly so you won't get to that point. I would suggest every 15 hours or so is what I do.

My wife grew up in Boothbay harbor. After visiting I know why they call it boozebay.

Where do y'all ride up there? (Georgia accent)

UNI filters only in my bikes! Double layers and easy to clean. As long as you keep up with your filter those stock valves will last about if not until it's time for a new bottom end.

We Put a top end in my buddies 11 a few weeks ago and was amazed how great the factory shim clearances still were with as many hours as his bike has.

Where do y'all ride up there? (Georgia accent)

There are 3-4 good tracks around where I live and a bunch of pits and trails.

Oem and k&n filters are great. Once you cant reshim your valves anymore than its time for top end. Also i recommend getting stainless steel valves if your looking for a low maintenace engine.

How much longer would stainless steel valves last? And how much are they?

How much longer would stainless steel valves last? And how much are they?

That dudes stuck in 05. There no maintenance to the valves until they're beat and need replacing. Plus it would be absolutely pointless to just go out and get ss valves.+You'd loose top end hp.. Keep your filter clean Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

yeah, 09+ bikes, no need for ss valves anymore. when mine need replacing I will just go back with oem's. Took them long enough, but honda figured the valve thing out finally.