Sign in to follow this  

BritishColumbia Avoid GnarlyParts and Accessories Like The Plague

For those who live in Western Canada or Northwest US, just want to give you a heads up to avoid dealing with Gnarly Parts and Accessories. I’ve been using these guys for years… Over a dozen orders with great customer service and speedy parts delivery, usually 2-5 days. However, the last three orders I have made over the past 6 months have been an absolute nightmare.

First order was a simple piston and gasket kit for my 2007 RM125. A full week goes by, nothing shows up. I look at my order status online, says it is “checking” (their way of saying we don’t have your parts yet) I called them and they told me the parts were coming in tomorrow morning and they would be shipped out same day. I thought great, I’ll have it by dinner time.

Well, nothing showed up the next day. I figured the shipping guys got held up, so I waited another 2 days. Nothing. Called Gnarly Parts, only to have them say my parts were backordered and coming from Colorado, would be at least a week. So, we went from “parts are in tomorrow” to “at least a week” within 3 days of waiting time. Due to the delay, they offered a 15% discount off my order. Now I was getting suspicious. I wanted to ride that weekend, but I just wrote it off and decided to wait until the next weekend.

Seven days later (17 days after I PLACED my order) I received the package. Everything seems ok, I rip apart my engine, new piston gaskets, good to go. Go to kick my bike and… THUD. Kickstarter jams up rock solid. I can’t figure out what is wrong. I spend 2 hours scratching my head, analyzing everything, thinking I somehow by fluke dropped something in the bottom end and now its jammed. In my state of confusion, I pick up the box the piston came in (wiseco kit) and notice that the bloody piston they sent me is for a 2004 KX125! At this point I was really furious. I immediately checked my order, making sure I actually ordered the right kit. Sure enough, I had everything correct. So, out came the parts again, wasted a gasket kit, and had to start the process over again….

I had to blast them over the phone, wait another 2 full weeks, and then had to drive the hour and twenty minutes each way to pick up the proper piston and a new gasket kit (free of charge of course). So from start to finish, I had basically wasted 31 days with my bike sitting apart in the garage, $50 of my money for gas to drive out there, plus a whole afternoon.

Order number 2: Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I decide to try another order, this time keeping it small in case anything happened. So I order an air filter, some cheap tools, and a couple levers. Well, this time they got the order right, but it took them 3 weeks to get it to my door, which is totally unacceptable. I can call up the Yamaha dealership 10 minutes from me, and although their prices are about 10% higher, I can have the parts in 2-3 days all the time.

I’m the kind of guy that gives a lot of chances, so I decided to try one last time. This last order I placed May 27th. Almost 2 weeks go by, and my things are still sitting in the cart under “checking” status. So I call them last Friday the 6th. “We just received your parts. They will be sent out and you will have them either this afternoon or Monday morning depending on the shipping situation.” Well, I didn’t see them that afternoon. Or Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday. Its been 3 weeks now and my parts are still sitting in the shopping cart “checking”. Now I’m pissed. I called them several times today and nobody is picking up the phone. All their voicemail boxes are full. I smell bankruptcy, or something else fishy. Whatever it is, all I know is I’m out $350 in parts and I don’t see them coming any time soon. Never thought these guys would turn out this way, they were so good in the past. But 3 strikes, you’re out!

I never throw people under the bus, but these guys must have something seriously wrong. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give a detailed description of what I was dealing with. They have obvious internal issues so I thought I would share so you don’t go through the headache I have dealt with. Enjoy your weekend riding guys, I know I won’t!!!!

Agreed, in the past couple of years these guys have slipped big time and I don't order from them anymore.  It's too bad, they used to be great.

I also had issues with them recently. I placed a large order and it was a hassle from the get go. It took over a month to get my flatland racing skid plates and rad guards that were in stock at time of order. No care taken at all when boxing it up to ship, they shipped my entire order in one box and all just tossed into the box with no care at all. It had 4 tires 4 heavy duty tubes a bunch of tools 2 sets of cycra probends and bunch of other various stuff some delicate pieces. It was a massive box that was almost 100lbs. I was honestly surprised dhl actually delivered it. Service was sh!t through the entire transaction  calls and emails were never returned I only got answers when someone answered the phone which is 1 in about 5 tries. I heard good things and gave them a chance but it will be a while before i try them again. This is only one single order but I was let down hard and not offered any sort of help from there end.

I'll chime in here with a similar story.

I had heard some questionable shipping stories about gnarlyparts, but wasn't really under time pressure for parts so I thought I'd give them a shot. I like to support Canadian companies if I can, and they had prices that matched the big websites from the states. Placed the order on a Monday, and waited. After a week with no confirmation email, receipt or anything I started to get worried. Sent an email to customer service a week after placing the order, with no response. 2 weeks out and I finally got someone on the phone. My order was 'on the shipping table, just waiting to go out'. By the time it got to me, it was 22 days. Definitely not worth the wait, and not worth the hassle. I'll go back to buying through a local dealer for OEM and shopping from Royal Distributing for aftermarket.

Some more info on my order I placed it April 24th and just got the last of my order last night. They shipped me the wrong skid plate so I am attempting to get the right one before I leave on the 23rd to go on a 3 day ride I really want to have a skid plate for. I am not holding my breath.

I placed 3 orders with them this year. First was pretty simple, a brake pin - the one that holds the pads in the calipers. They set the wrong one. Was either cut it down and have it end up rusting or wait another week. All told, from the time I placed the order to receiving the right part was ~15 days. 

Like another poster above I figured I would give them another chance. Round 2 was sprockets and levers. Price was great, on par with the US sites. Shipping was terrible. After a week or so of "checking" status I called them. "we get our orders on tuesdays and thursdays, call back tomorrow after 3" It ended up being another week before they received the parts, about 3 weeks from order placed to parts received on my end. Oh yea, levers didn't fit either, but being the bike is second hand I have no idea if the perches are aftermarket or not. 

Round 3, muffler and air filter. They were my only option in canada for a powercore II as far as I was able to tell and significantly cheaper than ebay/us stores given they offered the free shipping. This round went alright, order to parts received on my end was 5-7 days. 

I would use them in the off season but never would I use them if I needed something that I considered time sensitive.

I have never had an issue with wrong orders. I also have never had an issue when calling for order status; always talked to someone. 

The only delay was waiting for the disc guard carrier/wheel spacer when they were back ordered. I kept adding parts to the order and once the carrier was in stock, they shipped. I was given the option to ship what was on hand, but since riding season wasn't yet underway, I opted to wait. 

ok lets be realistic here, if I order my own stuff from across the us border I could end up waiting an easy 2- 3 weeks for it to come through the mail as it usualy gets hung up in customs- Dave must have to wait some times all so?

If I have my order sent to a family member in Washington state it will be their in a couple of days then up to me fast in bc.

Dave stocks a lot of good practical stuff and I would rather deal with him than any of the local oem dealers-AS LONG AS WHAT I WANT IS IN STOCK.

Is he not the best we have got in western Canada? who likes holeshot?

What shipping methods or  companies are working fast for you guys getting stuff from the US ?

usps is usually 5 business days or less if it stretches over a weekend. If my stuff gets shipped out on a thursday or friday it's usually waiting to clear customs come monday morning and delivered on the tuesday. I won't order from anywhere in the states that uses ups/fed ex/dhl

Edited by HotPeppers

It would be convenient if the website listed quatities in stock when considering an order. At least that would allow the option to look elsewhere if something is required more timely. 

• Like 1

waiting is not in my blood, I have no patience at all and I'm cheap but if we don't support our local distributors we'll be having to order every thing from some other place or country .I guess its a double edged sword but if I have got to wait I might as well order it my self for cheaper.

betarocker you have a good point also if gnarly would have his suplyers ship directly to our homes that would cut out some waiting

Their prices and selection are awesome, especially for a Canadian company. That being said, their service has been lacking. I've placed 5 or 6 orders since last summer. The parts always arrive and are exactly what I ordered, but trying get to phone in The order is a pain. More than a few days of constant calls to them went unanswered. Shipping times were constantly underestimated; it shouldn't take nearly three weeks to receive in stock items from two provinces away.

Ya my last order was a pain to. I highly recommend MX1 Canada dual sport. Good selection and great customer service.

They've lied to me and a bunch of buddies constantly. We don't even bother with them anymore. My brother ordered rims that were supposedly in stock, he called two weeks later and they "forgot" about it because the guy went on vacation. Then was told they didn't have any and would get another set for the same price. That didn't happen for another few weeks, then he called and said refund my money... He ended up having to call his credit card company to deal with it.

Worst customer service for sure

I have't had any serious problems and I have ordered a ton of stuff from them over the last few years. Recently I ordered a tank, rad guards and a skid plate for my new beta which I just bought from them. There was a hiccup on the guards delivery from the supplier , so they partial shipped. I changed my mind on the rad guard and ordered them somewhere else. The ones arrived at Gnarly the next day. I waited a month to get my alternate guards from the US. I think every place has delivery or service issues at one point or another. People don't usually post to say what a great job a supplier does, so sometimes a group of negative posts can create a worse impression. I hope they will continue to be a great supplier for our area.

• Like 1

I've made over a dozen orders through them over the last few years. The only issue I have had is on the last two where the time to receive my orders has been a little on the high side.

I have heard that they are suffering from the usual short staffing problems that seem to plague a lot of Western Canadian businesses. One other thing I have noticed this year is the fact that a lot of suppliers seem to have everything on backorder, even when buying from local shops. Took me three months to get some stuff for my neice's DRZ earlier this year and that was from the dealer.

My only gripe with Gnarlyparts is their decision to dump a lot of GasGas stuff.

Fwiw ordered parts ( a pipe and other parts ) Sunday night , at my door tues morning, cheaper than anywhere else I looked as well

He has had/is having staffing problems, Dave is back to dealing with orders himself to try and fix this.