Sign in to follow this  

99 XR 100 no spark

I'm fixing a 99 XR 100 for a friend. I rebuilt the motor and it was starting on one kick. I was finishing it up and getting ready to turn it back over to him when all of a sudden... no spark. So I started to check things... 1st was to trim back the spark plug wire... nothing. I started checking voltage, and I think the coil is bad. When I check across the two posts, I;m getting 0.7 ohms. I think this is too low, but I don't have a a manual and cannot check it. The resistance to the spark plug wire is 3.02 which to me seems low.

Do I have a bad coil?

Edited by eprovenzano

This doesn't deal with the coil, but just to eliminate the easy stuff, did you disconnect the kill switch closet to the coil/CID? That's what I had on a no spark, and I had Honda tell me my plug wire was bad and so on with out them seeing the bike in person.

As soon as I disconnected the kill switch, it fired right up! Just a thought... = )

This doesn't deal with the coil, but just to eliminate the easy stuff, did you disconnect the kill switch closet to the coil/CID? That's what I had on a no spark, and I had Honda tell me my plug wire was bad and so on with out them seeing the bike in person.

As soon as I disconnected the kill switch, it fired right up! Just a thought... = )

Yes I disconnected the kill switch.. still no spark

Based on what I've read and watched on you tube the readings should be from 3.0 to 5.0 and 12.0 to 15.0. Based on that I'd say have a bad coil

Edited by eprovenzano

I ordered a new coil.  I'm pretty confident that the coil is the issue, but if not that's OK...   its not so expensive that I feel as though I'm throwing money away.

While I wait for the new coil it arrive, I went through the rest of the electrical components.. I can trace power from the stator, through the Cdi to the coil leads. Was I getting the proper readings.. I have no idea. I've not been able to find that specific data, but I was getting something... The coil is inexpensive so its the 1st thing to replace.

I will keep updating with my findings

New coil arrived and still no spark... :thumbsdn:  :naughty:  :banghead:  I'm going to pull the stator and look / test for a broken wire(s).  I'll post up any findings

I'm thinking its the CDI, but I'm still struggling to find exact specs as to I should be getting when I test the stator.  

I just put in an order for a clymer manual last night. It may take a couple of days, but if you can wait... I will look up any info you need if its in there! = )

I just put in an order for a clymer manual last night. It may take a couple of days, but if you can wait... I will look up any info you need if its in there! = )

Thank You, I'd appreciate it.  In the interim, I've put a request out to a few buddies who's kids have an CRF / XR 80.  I'm hoping to swap a few things to help narrow it down to which part has failed.  

I kept testing the different electrical components. I was getting a good signal from the stator to the CDI. The signal from the pickup coil was suspect. Do I decided to pull the stator and inspect the wires... This is what I found...

E5EAD9D1-8D9F-4219-846C-F29552FF779A_zps

The wire on the pickup coil is broken. My question... Can this be soldered, or do I need a replacement stator?

My thought is, why not try! It is no good as it is and if it doesn't work, you will have to replace it anyway...! Right? But that is defiantly a reason for no spark. = )

Motohead_328 I appreciate you finding and posting that info.

After more testing I found a 2nd break in the pickup coil.  I called the owner and told him "IF" I'm able to fix it, how long would it last...  so I advised a new stator... one with a winding for a headlight. The bike is to be used on his farm to putt around, and a light may be come in handy.  So we shall see...

No problem... and as a utility vehicle, the third wire is a smart idea for a light, never know when you'll get caught out past dark...!

I had to try one more time. Armed with the correct testing #'s I stated again... I knew the pickup was the issue, so I stated tracing the wire... Low and behold I found the wire broken in two places... I cut it out andI soldered in my own, it tested out good (thanks Motörhead) reinstalled and had spark. With a little persuasion she fired up and runs like a champ

Chasing down an electrical failure is a pain in the arse. But now It's fixed and the owner will pick it up later.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Oh BTW. I was able to make the plastic look 10 years younger... I wet sanded with 180 grit, then 520, and then with an S.O.S pad (it's a steel wool pad with soap). The plastics really look good I still need to hit them with a heat gun but I'm happy with the results

Edited by eprovenzano