Sign in to follow this  

Older dirt bike riders...riding and racing.

Ok so I was just scrolling through the  http://www.hangonriders.net/   website checking out pictures and vids etc.. and came across a 77 yr old rider that entered a race. I was thinking how cool that was . Anyone out there older and riding? ..or know of guys that are older and riding ?This is the oldest guy I've seen that rides and entered a race.

http://www.hangonriders.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=193196706

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Here's one old timer mx I just randomly got off youtube..

There are some amazing riders just going out on the track..but what's amazing to me is Lars Larson. He's still bad ass.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/world-vet-motocross-championship-ryan-hughes-doug-dubach-pete-degraaf-gary-chase-lars-larsson-win-world-vet-crowns

When I was 39 and living in Pennsylvania, I had just started racing. There was a 73 year old that I raced with in hare scrambles that was a very good and consistent rider. When I was riding over my head and crashing too much in a couple of races he actually beat me. Very inspirational.

• Like 1

I took a few years break from riding and came back to riding. My Dad was already in his 60's and still very fast and smooth.I could keep up and pass him but he was no slouch . He was a lot faster than a lot of the others in the group and he was way older. His technique was great.. steady..and not many mistakes. I remember he won in one race for over 50 class first, He won his under 200 class and he placed 5th overall if I remember right.3 trophies.. Now that I'm in my mid 50's I'm realizing how good a shape he had to be  and how hard that is to achieve. He.rode well till he was around 67..then he has had some medical issues..heart ... That made it better to not be in the mountains away from fast emergency care. He still rides harley and rides mountain bike..on the road where he feels he can handle it and golfs . Seemingly the trick is to do what you can but not overdo it so you can do it as long as possible. He's been a good model to follow for me. Hey it's Fathers Day.. I gotta call him.

• Like 1

Yeah,

Wish they would start some vintage mx again, you could bust out the husky.

But we still would get smoked by John.

That's ok.. I'd roll around..none of the big jumps though.. John is a senior citizen that still rides fast if he wants to...but

Sheez where's my brain. John Desoto is definitely on this list and he's right here. That's one fast senior citizen.

I race cross country and hare scramble in Oklahoma. I am 50 and our over 50 / over 58 combined line in the B class usually has around 25 racers in it. I started riding off road when I was 38 and racing when I turned 40. It's been the best time in my life. I still try and hang it out when I race. I hope I get to keep doing this for quite a while.

• Like 2

Here's a newer trail and guys are trying to keep up with a 67 yr old leading  on a honda 2 stroke.. 3:50  This isn't serious just a fathers day ride but ya gotta watch some of these vet riders.. They have some skills!!

• Like 2

Hawaii and dirt bikes!!! Can it get any better?! :ride:

Edited by barryh
  • Like 2

im 55 and race modern 35+ on my 450 and pre 1990   125 and pre 1978   250 all on the same day...gets tiring..its all good though

what i will say is over 35 to over 55 is a big difference as the average 35 yr old dude is way faster than the average over 55,,,,BUT we are still doing it and inspiring these puppies to keep at it.

If we ride on a modern track with big arse jumps the gap gets bigger between the ages but when we are on vintage tracks its a lot closer

• Like 2

.. and came across a 77 yr old rider that entered a race. I was thinking how cool that was . Anyone out there older and riding? ..or know of guys that are older and riding ?This is the oldest guy I've seen that rides and entered a race.

When I grow up (I'm 50 now) I want to be a racer. Maybe by the time I hit 70 I'll have what it takes!

It truly is amazing someone being 77 and still getting around the track, let alone racing. I've only been riding for 7 years and riding better than I ever have because we finally built a good sized track nearby and I get to ride a lot more. It's tough to get better at it not only packing everything up to go to a real track but, also finding the time. It would be great to talk to one of the older guys and ask them how their reflexes are doing as well as the knees and so forth, what keeps 'em going, how they approach preparation and so forth.

• Like 1

I think Buzz Arndt enter a Minnesota Enduro at Aeley, a pretty tough race, at age 78. Minnesota has an over 60 class for older riders.

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/oOKQlM4Fb5UThis is my buddy Dave better known as oldmandave . He raced the endurocross in Springfield  mo. this year and 10 Hillbilly GP this last season . Not to mention we went to Chadwick and  put him through hell there . He is over 50 and no sign of slowing down  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJws-QKne98&list=UUnzZtdwaWNzKXlokU-jVuHg&feature=share&index=9

• Like 1

me riding sweep at local race 59 year old ,2001 cr500, raced vet A earlier Morning on friends 2014 KTM SXF, secong place,

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

• Like 1

He is over 50 and no sign of slowing down 

For some reason I'm conflicted here.  I'm 54!!!   I'm not old!!!!   :smirk:   I'm racing on Sunday at the "not your everyday hare scramble"  Kahuku Grand Prix.  I'm talking about the "real" old guys ..you know the 65 and over real senior citizens. We only have a 45 and over class and I didn't want to race A class so I went in the 201 + over unlimited class cause their race starts at 11 to 2 instead of the 9-10:30..  Hey I can stop and have a picnic half way for lunch  lol!!! and still have another hour of fun.. :busted: .  

• Like 1

For some reason I'm conflicted here.  I'm 54!!!   I'm not old!!!!   :smirk:   I'm racing on Sunday at the "not your everyday hare scramble"  Kahuku Grand Prix.  I'm talking about the "real" old guys ..you know the 65 and over real senior citizens. We only have a 45 and over class and I didn't want to race A class so I went in the 201 + over unlimited class cause their race starts at 11 to 2 instead of the 9-10:30..  Hey I can stop and have a picnic half way for lunch  lol!!! and still have another hour of fun.. :busted: .  

Yep, the 50+ guys are just young pups. Kinda silly and embarrassing at times but hopefully they will mature in time. ;)  :thumbsup:

• Like 2