Sign in to follow this  

03 CR250 - winds up really quick and no power

So my 03 250 just started running like crap.  I did compression test last week and it held 210psi.   Just put new air filter and plug in it.  Took it to the track tonight and it started up just fine but seemed to hit the power band VERY early and then have no power.   I shut it off, changed plugs, checked lines, etc and it seemed to snap out of it and ran WELL.  I took a break and then started back up and once again no power.  

I did compression test and had the tank off last week and this is first ride since.  I hope there is something easy I am missing here.  

Any input I appreciate. Thanks guys. 

Have you checked the powervalve cables ?

I have not checked them.  Just look for binding or ?

The symptom you described is a characteristic of the powervalve cables being loose. It will have power from low-mid & hit a wall with no power at the topend.

Pull the RC cover off & fire up the engine to make sure the powervalve is working first. Then check for the cables being loose if the powervalve doesn't open all the way.

Thank you for the advice.  I appreciate it and I will try that this weekend. Thanks man!

I pulled the RC cover off and the valve seems to be opening / closing properly.  

I then put it in first gear and the bike doesnt want to go.  Same in second gear - it doesnt want to go.  That seems to be why it raps out so quick. 

I checked cable routing and also transmission oil and all are OK.  Any idea what would be causing the bike to not want to move forward as it did before?  

It will move if I give it more and more gas but then tops out.  

Sounds like the clutch is slipping.

+2

So i likely need to replace the clutch plates and springs?  

OEM good choice?  I see a kit on ebay for 160.  First time experiencing this so forgive my ignorance.  

Thanks for all the help guys!

So i likely need to replace the clutch plates and springs?  

OEM good choice?  I see a kit on ebay for 160.  First time experiencing this so forgive my ignorance.  

Thanks for all the help guys!

OEM would be a good choice. So would Pro-X or Hinson.

The symptom you described is a characteristic of the powervalve cables being loose. It will have power from low-mid & hit a wall with no power at the topend.

Pull the RC cover off & fire up the engine to make sure the powervalve is working first. Then check for the cables being loose if the powervalve doesn't open all the way.

hi. I just rebuilt my top end and need to find out how to tighten my power valve cables. My power vavle doesn't move when I rev the throttle on my 04 CR250. Are there any good videos that show me how to get the RC valve working again.

hi. I just rebuilt my top end and need to find out how to tighten my power valve cables. My power vavle doesn't move when I rev the throttle on my 04 CR250. Are there any good videos that show me how to get the RC valve working again.

Motocross Action Mag has a very simple how to article on the RC valve adjustment.   http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fnews%2Fask-the-mxperts-how-do-you-adjust-hondas-electric-power-valve-on-the-old-school-cr250s&ei=UYtjVOjuOcP9iAL-wYDIBQ&usg=AFQjCNFwj72CdBFSZLlgS2aWrA_jhF0OOg

before you order a new clutch, pull the cover off the clutch and have a look at the fiber disks.

chances are they are worn down, but better to be 100% sure then order a part you dont need.

that being said, it does sound like a slipping clutch.

while your in there check the basket for notching.

That takes me to a invalid URL is that the right web site?

worked fine for me.

Take some pictures of the clutch basket and post here.  It sounds pretty obvious at that the discs are done, but you should get some feedback on the condition of the clutch basket once you get the discs out.

That takes me to a invalid URL is that the right web site?

I tried the link thru my IPhone & Ipad & they both opened up the mx article on line.
  • Like 1