Sign in to follow this  

Gasket question

Hey guys, I recently took apart my bike to install a new head gasket since ive had a coolant issue for a while now and have not been riding.

So everything has been taken apart and im trying to clean the surface that the previous gaskets were on. The old gaskets came of fine but there are some black marks left from the old gaskets. I tried to get these black marks off and some of it came off but the majority of it is stubborn and wont come of at all.

I am wondering if it is ok to just install the new gaskets now or do i need to fully remove all the residue (I know pictures would help maybe ill post some later). The black marks when looking at the cylinder from the side you can't even see a change in elevation or really feel a change at all with my finger and sliding a razor blade over the marks doesn't catch on them (I know razor blade can scratch the aluminum was just checking it).

That is why I am wondering if I can just install the new gaskets (with copper gasket spray) or do I have to clean the rest off?

Go to a store that sells precision tools and buy yourself a stone.  They're usually black or orange and shaped like a hockey puck.  One side will be finer than the other, use the finer side.  Apply mineral spirits to the stone & the intended surface.  Lightly slide with light pressure over the surface till you feel absolutly no resistance.  Clean off mineral spirits & stone contaminants like a murder scene and you'r done.  :devil:

You will also find alot of other good uses for that stone too.  Like clutch plates, cases, shims, shim buckets or any other precision parts or mating surfaces.....$10 well spent.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 2

Go to a store that sells precision tools and buy yourself a stone.  They're usually black or orange and shaped like a hockey puck.  One side will be finer than the other, use the finer side.  Apply mineral spirits to the stone & the intended surface.  Lightly slide with light pressure over the surface till you feel absolutly no resistance.  Clean off mineral spirits & stone contaminants like a murder scene and you'r done.  :devil:

You will also find alot of other good uses for that stone too.  Like clutch plates, cases, shims, shim buckets or any other precision parts or mating surfaces.....$10 well spent.

Do you have a name for the stone? or like a specific store you find them in since i had no luck. I went and got a plastic razor thing from a autostore but that didnt help at all. So i tried again with a razor super carefully and that doesn't start peeling the pieces off either in most spots.. kind of annoyed hah.

Do you have a name for the stone? or like a specific store

Clean off mineral spirits & stone contaminants like a murder scene and you'r done.  :devil:

Murder supplies R us.

• Like 1

Do you have a name for the stone? or like a specific store you find them in since i had no luck. I went and got a plastic razor thing from a autostore but that didnt help at all. So i tried again with a razor super carefully and that doesn't start peeling the pieces off either in most spots.. kind of annoyed hah.

Sorry for the slow response, I had to clean up some blood spatter.....No really my computer runs so slow I'm about to :smashpc:.  You must go to a store that sells machinist supplys, (precision tools).  They will have it.