Sign in to follow this  

Overheating

Hey folks,

Just bought a 2006 DR-Z E a couple days ago and just got an opportunity to ride it real quick today. I went about an eight mile down the road and back to my driveway. It was idling a little low so I sat there for about 2 or 3 minutes making some adjustments with the bike running. Then I notice the exhaust pipe was glowing so I took a quick pic and shut it off. Is this normal? According to the temp gauge it was about 260 f. Doesn't seem normal or like it should get that hot sitting at idle for a couple minutes. The guy I bought it from had just replaced the radiator hoses and fluids. 

Ideas? 

Thanks. 

WP_20140613_20_17_29_Pro.jpg

Congratulations :facepalm:  your the first person to ask that question...................................................................................................................................................................this week.

Edit, normal.

Edited by Black_DRZ

I searched for quite a while. I found some topics on other bikes but none in this particular forum. 

Edit: great. thanks. 

Edited by jmanb32
  • Like 1

the bikes going to get real hot just sitting there with no air flow running into the rads or across the engine to cool it. it looks like the head pipe is a touching the left rad from the picture you posted?

• Like 1

the bikes going to get real hot just sitting there with no air flow running into the rads or across the engine to cool it. it looks like the head pipe is a touching the left rad from the picture you posted?

Yeah, just a bit. 

Yeah, just a bit. 

might consider taking a ball peen hammer to the left rad to give your pipe a bit of clearance. what pipe do you have? the only pipes that i have seen that have clearance issues with the rad is the early model MRD's

might consider taking a ball peen hammer to the left rad to give your pipe a bit of clearance. what pipe do you have? the only pipes that i have seen that have clearance issues with the rad is the early model MRD's

It's a Yoshimura. Just looked closer. There's a bout 1/16" gap between the pipe and rad. 

• Like 1

It's a Yoshimura. Just looked closer. There's a bout 1/16" gap between the pipe and rad. 

you should be good. whats the whole bike look like? by the looks of it you have yourself a clean looking bike

you should be good. whats the whole bike look like? by the looks of it you have yourself a clean looking bike

Overall pretty good. Just wouldn't idle and stay running. I probably turned the idle up a bit much as a result. 

WP_20140610_20_07_35_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Overall pretty good. Just wouldn't idle and stay running. I probably turned the idle up a bit much as a result. 

Stumbling and dying can be a sign of lean.

• Like 1

Yeah pretty sure it's running VERY LEAN. The previous owner probably installed the yoshi and never jetted the carb or did the 3x3 mod.

thin walled headers and exhaust will glow like that or change color like a blueish t color kinda like this. some say its jetting but i dis agree with that. idle will heat it up cause there is no ram air to cool it off.

CAM00194.jpg

Yeah pretty sure it's running VERY LEAN. The previous owner probably installed the yoshi and never jetted the carb or did the 3x3 mod.

He said he did jet the carb. There is a JD Jetting package in a box of stuff he gave me that I believe has the original parts. Said he just went through the carb recently and he seems pretty honest and spoke at length about all the stuff he had done to the bike. I'll try adjusting. There's a small aftermarket knob to adjust leaner or richer. Haven't owned a bike in many years so have to get up to speed.