Sign in to follow this  

My 450 mods

Got my new bike and working too much to go ride so here's a step by step of what I think are the right mods for me. And yes I could have ordered it from BYOB this way but I prefer to work on my own bike

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402723015.321054.jpgreplaced the factory flasher with a unit I bought from Dave, used a duestch three pin connector and wired to the directions Dave supplied. This will now work with my led turn signals. Yellow from flasher to black/white wire, red from flasher to yellow/red from flasher, black from flasher to negative terminal on battery. Then drill a .200" diameter hole and bolt flasher in original location using a 10/32 X 1/2" long stainless machine screw. Edited by PATRIOTJM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402723015.321054.jpgreplaced the factory flasher with a unit I bought from Dave, used a duestch three pin connector and wired to the directions Dave supplied. This will now work with my led turn signals. Yellow from flasher to black/white wire, red from flasher to yellow/red from flasher, black from flasher to negative terminal on battery. Then drill a .200" diameter hole and bolt flasher in original location using a 10/32 X 1/2" long stainless machine screw.

That's the same thing I did with mine. Great job! A few of the guys here suggested using a led "plug and play" flasher. I had no luck at all using it. The way you did it is the best way IMO. 

Here is a old cut and paste doing mine:

Installation of DRC IC Relay.

If you are running LED turn signals front and rear you will need one of these:

pv01.jpg

Install was a major PITA!! I spent over three hours trying almost every possible way to make my turn signals work! Being relentless in making it work, I finally got er' done! Thank you Dave (Get Dirty Dirt Bikes)!!

Step 1: Put a torch to the worthless instructions!

Step 2: Ditch the stock flasher relay

Step 3: Black DRC Flasher wire to ground

Step 4: Yellow DRC Flasher wire to hot wire (grey/black) that goes into stock flasher.

Step 5: Red DRC Flasher wire to output wire (yellow/red) that comes out of stock flasher going to turn signals.

Step 6: Most important, the turn signal indicator light bulb (on dashboard) must be removed. Otherwise your turn signals will work like 4 way flashers.

Final installation picture:

100_3319.jpg

This is a very nice modification for guys that want to run the LED flashers.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402759911.480378.jpgDC conversion rectifier from Get Dirty Bikes. It plugs right in, only one hole lines up so I may put a insert in for the other hole next time my radiator is off. Moving on to the rewound stator.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402760941.547338.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402760967.197020.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402760987.067093.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402760999.599698.jpgdrain oil, remove case cover, I don't ever try to save gasket, just plan ahead and have a new one. Then remove stator from side case using a 4MM Allen. Set side case cover aside and follow the factory stator wires up in between carb and head, then cut all the zip ties holding it to the harness bundle. Now you can pull the stator off carefully guiding the plugs down. Now leaving the new stator bagged feed the wire harness up between the carb and head just as the factory one was. Plug everything in and be sure to re ziptie. Grab the side case cover and bolt the new stator to it using blue locktite. Install a new oil filter and then reinstall the side case cover, note that the bolt with the copper crush washer goes closest to the fill plug. You will need to put a small amount of rtv or silicon around stator wire grommet that snaps into the top of the side case. Also a small amount of grease can be used to hold the new side case cover in place. Torque the cover to 7 ft lbs or 10NM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402761812.987616.jpgI had about 1/4" of play in the factory rear brake clevis so I ordered one from Dave at Get Dirty, easy install and it helped. Just remove the cotter pin and slide out the pin, pull the brake cylinder back just enough so you can unthread the factory clevis. Thread the new billet clevis on, insert the pin and cotter pin and then tighten the jam nut.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402763490.221479.jpgfrys electronics has these super bright LEDs which are a direct replacement for the OEM lights.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403844391.053152.jpgseat concepts complete seat showed up today, this is the last of parts I ordered. Now I need a day off to go abuse this bike.