Sign in to follow this  

Starter failure on a '12 300XC

My '12 300 xc starter just quit working. I replaced the battery and still no starter. Then I put a volt meter on the starter and realized I was getting power while cranking but no starter activation. Turns out the starter is bad. I pulled the starter motor apart and found that the brushes had worn down so much that the wire on one of them broke off.

It was super nasty grey black inside and may have had some moisture?

Questions:

Is starter failure common after a few hard years of riding?

Does the starter need to be pulled apart and cleaned inside every so often?

When I get the new one will it come with shims?

$300 + for OEM starter. Dang'er!!!

Thanks

you could revert to kickn it...dont forget to swear and give a couple of extra kicks to the general engine area, the tank, wheels ect.

But seriously, my riding mate had exactly the same problem, he now kicks a couple of times before every cold start and has not experienced failure again. I'm not sure why this helped but all the same.... cheers

It's a pretty common problem and KTM upgraded the starter motor from 350W to 410W for 2013.  You can rebuild yours or replace it.  To replace it you're looking at $280 for the newer 410W OEM model or $180 for a generic 350W.  A rebuild could be as cheap as 20 bucks for a brush kit or $75 for everything.  Here's a link to a bunch of stuff from Slavens... 

If you stick with the 350W I would suggest kicking when it's cold and just use the button after the bike's warm.

Edited by Cold Smoke

Thanks for the links and info.. I'm subscribed to the slavens site but didn't know any specifics about the 13' upgraded starter. It's good to know for friends with ktm 2t's that might want the info. It's good to know at least ktm has done some upgrading here. It's been from 09 with the starter problems . it's about time they did something. This has been a problem for a while. Do guys still have problems with the upgraded starter?  I figure it ought to be a little better at least.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Thanks for all the great info

I had a wizard look at the innards of my starter and he said it was shot. The part that the brushes ride on was cupped way to much. For now I just removed the old brushes and stuck the old starter back in. She starts first kick any way even when cold

Thanks for all the great info

I had a wizard look at the innards of my starter and he said it was shot. The part that the brushes ride on was cupped way to much. For now I just removed the old brushes and stuck the old starter back in. She starts first kick any way even when cold

Get the new more powerful starter and do the slavens fix. Hopefully the mods will make the fix better. No sense get an electric start bike and not have electric start.