Sign in to follow this  

Electrical help?

I Have a Baja designs aftermarket street kit on my Xr 600, my tail light /brake light is giving me fits. It is on when it's supposed to be as a tail light but doesn't brighten when the brake lever is pushed, when my blinkers are on it flashes brighter. Any thoughts on why or what wires are crossed?

Unhook the plug to your tail light and check continuity on each of those wires to where they end at the switch, ground and voltage regulator. then check the continuity of each of those wires to ground and to each other. Also check all grounding points. Ground issues can do all sorts of wierd things that dont seem to make sense.

If you dont have a good volt/ohm meter, go get one. You dont need to spend a fortune on a fancy Fluke meter but if you can afford to drop $40 on one with an audible continuity alarm function, it can make simple troubleshooting quick work.

Not sure why it's flashing with the indicators but I'd bet a dollar you have the wire that operates the brake light in the connector that the tailight plug is supposed to be in..Those connectors are all around the top of the airbox or a little further towards the rear of the bike,,Normally on a NZ XR/XL loom it's orange and blue that do each side of the indicators,,Green/yellow does the brake light..Brown does power to the tailight and green is earth..

Edited by Horri