Sign in to follow this  

RM Years To Stay Away From

I'm new to the RM world.  Just sold my blasters and I'm going to look at a 1998 RM 250 today.  Are there any years to stay away from when it comes to RM's?  Are they good overall bikes?  I'll mostly be using it for hill climbs and intermediate trails.  Any info would be greatly appreciated before I drop $1300 on this thing! LOL  Thanks in advance!

The 1998 are one of the least powerful if all the rm bikes but the front forks are amazing

The guy who owns it says that he got the 97 power valves on it and that apparently makes a difference. Says the 97 valves were the best ones they made. Not sure if that really matters or not. I'm used to blasters so Suzuki dirt bikes aren't my specialty...

It'll be fine.  The only thing you need to keep in mind is that it's 16 years old...  Look for loose or worn parts.  Nothing more than any Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha, at that age it's more about how well the previous owners took care of it.  However, if it runs good and has no issues then you should be able to keep up with any bike on a medium to fast paced ride.

• Like 1

Yeah,  I'm checking everything tomorrow.  Gonna leak test and make sure all the bolts are tight.  

Previous owner took good care of it,  but it's always good to check your bases. 

aahh0n.jpg

• Like 1

The 98 had a much smaller exhaust port than the 97. That killed power. The 97 has 4 hp less through the midrange than the 96. The 97 power vale was two stage and has steel subvalves. The 96 and 98 had the exact same valve setup(single staged main valve and aluminum subs). Ive noticed on my 97 that the valve doesnt clear the exhaust port completely. The 98 had about 38 hp I think. The 96 had 43 and the 97 had 41. suzuki motors were all over the map from 96-2000 lol.heres my old scoot. Those body styles look nice.

2014-06-03 19.36.48.jpg

Edited by Rancher420
  • Like 1

Youll enjoy that 98. Im a suzuki man to the core, so any RM is a bonus to me. Only thing I never liked was that number plate fork guard! I cut it and put fork boots on mine. Wish I'd got blue tho.

Edited by Rancher420
  • Like 1

Quick question. Which way do I turn the power valves adjustors to get the powerband down lower. The bike is set for the powerband all at top end and I can't ride like that right now, too new to a bike and can't be screaming everywhere or I'm gonna wreck. I wanna adjust the power valve to give me the powerband a bit quicker. Am I right in assuming that this is what the power valve is for?

1/2 turn clockwise from zero tension of the leftward most knob is stock. A tad more than 1/2 turn is what I run. the less clockwise tension the quicker the valve opens. Too much wheelspin thst way for me.

So, turn it clockwise to get the power lower, turn counter clockwise to get it higher? Am I turning both power valves equally?

Will the knobs come off if I keep turning them counter clockwise?

Sorry for all the questions, I gotta learn this bike.

I have a clymers for it. II'll have to read it.

Edited by DeJay126

This is a 98 but the guy has a 97 power valve setup on it. He said he swapped it out because 97 is known as being the best power valve setup.

Here's a video from when I went riding today. I'm getting more comfortable and actually tried a few small Hills.

• Like 2

I disagree about the 97 valve being better. The 97 had 2 sliding parts to the valve that supposedly gave a more linear delivery to the power. I suspect though that the dual slider is what made the 97 lise 4 horsepower in the midrange compared to the 96. Quick opening= stronger hit.im going the opposite direction on my 97 and installing the 96 valve butkeeping the steel subvalves. Ive noticed the thin slider on my 97 main valve blocks the port even at its fully open setting.

That bike sounds good! Sounds just like mine lol. You'll enjoy that bike. Nice buy!

• Like 1