Sign in to follow this  

Speedo options

Anyone here run a speedo that is not standard? My pet hate at looking at the bike is the ugly speedo,mine doesn't even work and I want to either get rid of it alltogether or maybe replace with one of those vapor units,Anyone have pics they can post up of their non standard speedo setup.

I look at some KTM's etc and they have such simple and un cluttered setups,I want to tidy up the cockpit area as much as I can.

Helped a buddie install a Vapor on his husky TXC310 last week. Looks pretty nice. After he hit a tree Saturday he made some comment that he should probably not be looking at it so much... LOL.

what's wrong with stock one?

the stock unit is not backlit, doesn't display RPM, coolant or ambient air temperature. The Vapor unit does.

I guess I just don't have time to read that kinda' stuff...to busy just hangin' on.

There is a mod getting around to make the stock unit backlit. I will be doing this soon.

With the type of riding I do in the places I go, I would not ride without a temp reading. I've done all the mods and under extreme technical I still run hotter than I feel comfortable. Just knowing that I'm getting close to boil will que me to take a break or get some speed to cool down the bike.

I installed my sensor on the lower radiator hose. If your coolant pisses out and you have no fluid up top then the sensor will do diddy

Edited by GreenHornet450
  • Like 1

I would need more than a warning light. My KTM 690 has a warning light rather than a reserve in the fuel tank. It was on and I had no idea for how long it had been on. For me, warning lights on a dirt bike are worthless. Now if they played a high volume high pitch sonalert or sent cattle pod shocks to your seat I would get the idea something needed to be addressed.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the type of riding your doing. I don't really see much benefit other than cosmetics because I never look at the unit unless Im checking my speed on the road from trail to trail.

But i guess if you only do cruising, or in some really tight tricky areas that are 1st gear and clutch I could see the benefit of temp sensors, etc.