Sign in to follow this  

Confused on where to go...

Just woke up to a very unfortunate thought after realizing that I'm a tough position to purchase a dirt bike.

I know what bikes to look at, given this awesome feedback here on this site, but I realized I have not enough money to make a legitimate offer, and no money for gear.  This is of course to my ridiculous demands of wanting a dirt bike year 2000 and up, which is clearly going to be out of my cheap price range of about $1000 (no higher).  

Also, I have no gear, so that will drop my budget down to about $800 max on the bike itself. 

You're probably reading this thinking this is some complains/bachy teen who is upset for not having enough money for a dirt bike, however its not.  I do have a question.

My question is how much should I save up to, in order to purchase a decent bike (preferably mx or trial bike) and have money for a nice helmet (maybe boots)?  -- I have no problem said earlier of picking up more hours, or finding a second job over the summer to help the cause.  

Thanks

Hate to piss on your parade son but there is another expense you're not considering. Any 1K dirt bike will need some work Fatten that bank account up to 2500 things will get easier for you. That way you'd have 1800 for a bike 400 for repairs and 300 for gear.

Good luck.

• Like 1

True...can't say other ways, as I have never owned a dirt bike in my life, but most of the dirt bikes I have been looking at have a Kelly Blue Book value of 1,200$ and under in excellent condition.  But I will still factor in work expense, maybe just not 2,500$.  Maybe max out of 1,800$...but same difference. 

Just woke up to a very unfortunate thought after realizing that I'm a tough position to purchase a dirt bike.

I know what bikes to look at, given this awesome feedback here on this site, but I realized I have not enough money to make a legitimate offer, and no money for gear. This is of course to my ridiculous demands of wanting a dirt bike year 2000 and up, which is clearly going to be out of my cheap price range of about $1000 (no higher).

Also, I have no gear, so that will drop my budget down to about $800 max on the bike itself.

You're probably reading this thinking this is some complains/bachy teen who is upset for not having enough money for a dirt bike, however its not. I do have a question.

My question is how much should I save up to, in order to purchase a decent bike (preferably mx or trial bike) and have money for a nice helmet (maybe boots)? -- I have no problem said earlier of picking up more hours, or finding a second job over the summer to help the cause.

Thanks

you can easily find a kdx200 for like 800 bucks here in ct you can probably find a beat up 125 too for the same price, but gear cost most then 200 bucks cheap gear is gonna cost double that for all of it, I would save up a solid 1500 before I start looking at bikes seriously
  • Like 1

you can easily find a kdx200 for like 800 bucks here in ct you can probably find a beat up 125 too for the same price, but gear cost most then 200 bucks cheap gear is gonna cost double that for all of it, I would save up a solid 1500 before I start looking at bikes seriously

Thanks man, will do that, 1500$ seems like a good goal to save up to.  Also I find that there are more bikes in ct on craigslist than ma lol its weird, ma just has expensive bikes that are ridiculously over priced 

• Like 1

Thanks man, will do that, 1500$ seems like a good goal to save up to. Also I find that there are more bikes in ct on craigslist than ma lol its weird, ma just has expensive bikes that are ridiculously over priced

oh I know ma has crazy prices if you look hard here in ct you can find older 250fs and 450fs for like 1300 bucks it's crazy, I just found a 2006 Ktm 400exc for 1700 that I'm seriously considering buying
  • Like 1

Throwing in a curve ball...I have been looking at this bike for the past week, and got the asking price down to $900. Is this worth it? I'm 5'8 on a bad day and 5'9 on a good day, 140lbs.

http://gyazo.com/4ebc6fcb74ae2901a8dcbc701b348fad

I can tell you really want a bike bad but that yz85 might get small eventually and that bike will make a horrible woods bike, if your willing to travel about an 1 or 2 find some good bikes in ct search for kdx200 on cl if your looking for a trail bike, that 85 is a good mx bike

True...can't say other ways, as I have never owned a dirt bike in my life, but 

Don't look at that. It literally means nothing and all it does is put the idea in your head that you're overpaying, most likely forcing you to buy junk. The market determines the value, if bikes are selling for (and trust me, they almost always are) quite a bit more money then the book value, then that's their worth. I sold a $1100 KBB bike not too long ago for $2500 with minimal effort. I also sold a truck valued at $3000 for $7600 and a $11,000 KBB car for $7000. The values they give you mean nothing. 

You're way too big for that 85. 85's are for kids, you are a grown man and there is nothing you will be able to do to be comfortable on that little kids bike. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 1