Sign in to follow this  

High pressure rad cap

I was wondering if running a higher pressure radiator cap was bad for the bike? Is it better to let the steam come out or not? What are your thoughts on this. I like to ride a couple slow, tight, not well cleared trails with some steep ass hills. My bike likes to piss steam when I don't let it stretch it's legs. My buddy's ktm 450 did the same thing until he got the high pressure cap. Wondering if I should do the same or is that just covering up the problem and possibly harming the engine without me being aware of it.

I ordered a 1.3 bar cap. Maybe that will help, still under honda spec. I looked at o'reilly's and advanced for engine ice, neither had it. Royal purple had a product like purple ice. I'm going to check into that.

Also the radiators. I may buy the eBay ones for around $70 because one of mine has a pretty good dent in it.

I figure there isn't any easy fix so I'll kind of split the difference on a couple little fixes.

Is there any benefit to silicone hoses? With regard to cooling?

Also there is an inline cooler on eBay also I might check out. Just some aluminum fins that goes inline with one of the rad hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181219546433

Edited by Saratj1

Been looking for engine ice at my local auto parts store, but none seem to carry it.

I've been to O'Reillys and advanced neither had it. I may try autozone. But any ideas? I could order it online I suppose.

Also my rad fluid is already a clear light blue color, I wonder what's in it already?

Engine Ice is simply overpriced distilled water with Propylene Glycol, same as the "green" automobile coolants. The normal stuff is ethylene glycol. EG is a better "coolant" under normal operating conditions, but PG can take the higher/OT events better than EG.