Sign in to follow this  

First ride .......epic fail

Hi all. Yesterday Tom and I decided to go for a romp on our scoots. It was first time since reassembly of my 2001 REAL YELLER E. We rode several miles, mixed with blacktop, single track and two track. Bike ran strong, everything worked great, and then it happened! We were about 25 miles from town and deep into the boonies. We stopped to take a couple pics. I pushed the button to restart...varooom. Busted right off as usual. Pulled in clutch, released to take off and blahhhhh. Just died on me. Pulled in clutch , hit button, nothing. Pulled seat and side plastics looking for wire short and check fuse. Nothing. All good. Lights were still powered. After 30 minutes of analyzing, Tom decided to go back to house and get truck. It was hot and mosquitoes big as dogs! He returned in an hour and a half. Was sure glad to see him and his a/c truck cab. Anyway I will research problem more this weekend. Any ideas of what it might be?

1402754105380.jpg

1402754125502.jpg

1402754143340.jpg

1402754163476.jpg

1402754186184.jpg

Hi all. Yesterday Tom and I decided to go for a romp on our scoots. It was first time since reassembly of my 2001 REAL YELLER E. We rode several miles, mixed with blacktop, single track and two track. Bike ran strong, everything worked great, and then it happened! We were about 25 miles from town and deep into the boonies. We stopped to take a couple pics. I pushed the button to restart...varooom. Busted right off as usual. Pulled in clutch, released to take off and blahhhhh. Just died on me. Pulled in clutch , hit button, nothing. Pulled seat and side plastics looking for wire short and check fuse. Nothing. All good. Lights were still powered. After 30 minutes of analyzing, Tom decided to go back to house and get truck. It was hot and mosquitoes big as dogs! He returned in an hour and a half. Was sure glad to see him and his a/c truck cab. Anyway I will research problem more this weekend. Any ideas of what it might be?

Damnnnnn! That sucked! Other than a couple of stupid guesses, I have no idea what it could be. Hope it's an easy solve bud. When you say reassembly, is this the new bike or your old bike you took apart after your crash?

btw, don't tell Tom, but his bike looks bitchin!  :rolleyes::thumbsup:

• Like 2

DAMMIT M8!!  Did you have to break down right infront of the enemy???  WRR  :D

What do you think it is?  bike looks good tho,  tell your buddy the WRR's front fender is almost as bad as a XR650L fender  :moon:

• Like 3

nowhere to bump start bike in the 1.5 hours you waited for him to return? not judging just suggesting what I would have considered.

Uhhh. Have you tried pushing one of these torque monsters on flat, uneven, rutty ground, to get enough speed to jump on the bike and make the rear tire stick? So, after that long winded question, YES!! I was desperate to get away from the dime sized mosquitos and possibility of being a $$ raped by a rogue band of mountain dew swilling hillbillies. :D I tried until my watermelon sized enlargened heart was nearly protruding through my chest!

• Like 5

Uhhh. Have you tried pushing one of these torque monsters on flat, uneven, rutty ground, to get enough speed to jump on the bike and make the rear tire stick? So, after that long winded question, YES!! I was desperate to get away from the dime sized mosquitos and possibility of being a $$ raped by a rogue band of mountain dew swilling hillbillies. :D I tried until my watermelon sized enlargened heart was nearly protruding through my chest!

Sounds like you only gave it %80-85 percent max...   :D

Next time try harder   :p

Hopefully its a easy fix and nothing serious,  petcock in the ON postion?   :devil:

• Like 3

DAMMIT M8!! Did you have to break down right infront of the enemy??? WRR :D

What do you think it is? bike looks good tho, tell your buddy the WRR's front fender is almost as bad as a XR650L fender :moon:

Yeah that was extra sucky. Back in the 70's and 80's we had lots of breakdowns with our old, unreliable 2 strokes. This was my first trail breakdown in years, and I'm not diggin it. It has to have something to do with electric gremlins. Bastards. ;);)

• Like 3

Damnnnnn! That sucked! Other than a couple of stupid guesses, I have no idea what it could be. Hope it's an easy solve bud. When you say reassembly, is this the new bike or your old bike you took apart after your crash?

btw, don't tell Tom, but his bike looks bitchin! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Yes, this is the newest addition. I had tore it all down and replaced several parts. Ran great, then, switch was dead. I'm still pissed about breaking down but that's just the way it is sometimes. Im going to start pulling it apart in a few minutes to try and find the culprit. And if not successful, I'll set that bitch afire. Lol

• Like 2

LMAO.....loved the hillbilly comment.

When I had that petcock issue and bike wouldn't start, I too gave it all I had pushing that pig on flat, uneven, shitty ground until I almost threw it in the bushes and said, "die there, bitch".......but a long came this hill that I had forgotten going up, and when I rolled down it and popped it in 2nd, she breathed life......

Of course the recent pinch flat episode was also a "push the pig" moment, but this is your thread, so I'm glad you got her packed into the truck for home surgery..........let us know how it goes.... :cool:

• Like 4

LMAO.....loved the hillbilly comment.

When I had that petcock issue and bike wouldn't start, I too gave it all I had pushing that pig on flat, uneven, shitty ground until I almost threw it in the bushes and said, "die there, bitch".......but a long came this hill that I had forgotten going up, and when I rolled down it and popped it in 2nd, she breathed life......

Of course the recent pinch flat episode was also a "push the pig" moment, but this is your thread, so I'm glad you got her packed into the truck for home surgery..........let us know how it goes.... :cool:

Yeah you have take into consideration thisis the Texas panhandle. Not much in the way of hills during general travel. Sure, there are hills offroad to climb, but even my super human strength wouldnt allow me to push the f'n thing UP the hill. :lol::lol: At one point in time I strongly considered leaving it for the backwoods people to do with what they will. I'm too pretty to be caught by them out there all alone. :huh::huh: Ever heard the saying...."hey boy, you sure got a pretty mouth?" :D:D:D:D

• Like 5

Yeah you have take into consideration thisis the Texas panhandle. Not much in the way of hills during general travel. Sure, there are hills offroad to climb, but even my super human strength wouldnt allow me to push the f'n thing UP the hill. :lol::lol: At one point in time I strongly considered leaving it for the backwoods people to do with what they will. I'm too pretty to be caught by them out there all alone. :huh::huh: Ever heard the saying...."hey boy, you sure got a pretty mouth?" :D:D:D:D

Thankfully NO.............hahahahaha  :lol:  (one of the reasons I never ride without my friend Walther) ;)

• Like 2

last time this happened to me it was a blown fuse.

.i carry spares now.

i hope its that easy for you..good luck,

rick

• Like 2

Thanks n1tr0 finally got around to the Shorai upgrade and box. Not sure the 3D printer at the local High School was that great of a quality printer but it defiantly worked and fit fine.  Here are some pics.

Sounds like you only gave it %80-85 percent max...   :D

Next time try harder   :p

Hopefully its a easy fix and nothing serious,  petcock in the ON postion?   :devil:

Second this my kid push started a KLR in a parking lot (yup 650 single) after finding out about the "PARKING" spot on the ingnition switch

• Like 2

Thanks n1tr0 finally got around to the Shorai upgrade and box. Not sure the 3D printer at the local High School was that great of a quality printer but it defiantly worked and fit fine. Here are some pics.

Second this my kid push started a KLR in a parking lot (yup 650 single) after finding out about the "PARKING" spot on the ingnition switch

Gimme his number. We'll give him a call next time! That loose gravel and sand is no place to bump start a bike:rolleyes:

• Like 2