2007 YZ250 Clutch Issues - too much slack

Just picked up a fairly clean 07 YZ250 for $1800 yesterday and already started stripping it down to put my off-road goodies on it. But already I've come across a problem. When I got it, I noticed that there was a lot of slack in the clutch cable before it did anything. I saw that it was already adjusted all the way out so was figuring it needed a new cable, but that is not the case. When I pulled the magneto cover off, I can move the push lever about 3/4 it's total travel before the push rod contacts the clutch pressure plate. So pulled the clutch cover off and took out the push rod and everything looks correct. 8 fiber plates, 7 discs, appears to be the stock clutch, doesn't look too worn, etc. We were originally thinking it needs that little ball bearing like the 4-strokes have at the end of the push rod but the schematic doesn't show one so I am kind of stumped as to what is going on...although that would probably fix it, but there has to be something not right going on.

I can get some pics of everything as well but was curious if anyone might have some thoughts off the bat...Some measurements of the push rod maybe. Or could the push lever be incorrectly installed?

Thanks!

I would check to see if all the parts from the fiche are present then I'd assume that the push rod is indeed the issue.  Pull it out and make sure it resembles the fiche diagram.  Sometimes the piece on the end snaps off.

• Like 1

Checked the diagram and everything is there. The end of the push rod that goes up against the push lever is squared off and pretty worn so still suspecting that. Clutch basket and everything else looks good.

Bought the bike from a guy who only had for a few months and it was apparently too fast for him. He got it from the original owner. It actually is pretty darn clean and unmolested so it was definitely I score I reckon!

Still can't quite figure it out. All the parts look original and the clutch fiber discs are well in spec, not warped, etc. I was curious if anyone had a measurement of their pushrod and pushrod plus top hat length? Here's a pic of mine. It sits inside the shaft there about 1/8" of an inch. Still uses more than half the push lever travel before it touches the clutch plate.

i-rJGzMCs-L.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here's where it sits without the cable at rest, ie, at the bottom:

i-kz4g8Hb-L.jpg

And this is the where it contacts the pressure plate, near the top basically:

i-2HF7PDH-L.jpg

The angle of the arm looks wrong in your pic, should be lower.

Look at the link.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1073397-clutch-issue-maybe-maybe-its-fine/

Gentlemen!  This is a huge insight to the working & failings of our YZ's.  Goes much more in depth than our manual.  :D

Based on these discussions & pictures I've narrowed it down to 2 items that may be causing my issue of clutch not engaging.  Either the push rod #23 or the push lever assembly #24.

Snap_2014.11.25%2B08.10.02_001.jpg

Snap_2014.11.25%2B08.10.16_002.jpg

I'll disassemble each item to inspect it for wear before I buy either.  I am no longer going to just throw $$$$$$ at a problem & hope I fix it.  I have a new clutch, perch, & cable because I just was replacing items willy nilly.  No more.

Thank you.

P.S.  I would love to see pictures of what you found!  ?

Edited by superslyko