Any issues with the 03 yz250fs?

It doesn't have cartridge forks, not a deal breaker but watch out for worn out tubes and leaks.

Front brake can be spongy.  Upgrade to stainless steel braided line.

Ask to see the air filter.  If its dirty, walk away from that one... PO didn't do maintenance.

Check wheel bearing and make sure they are tight, not a deal breaker, just a negotiation point.

Same for chain and sprockets and brakes and tires and seat cover.

Busted plastics are negative; 135 a set plus shipping.

Pluses, Pro Taper bars, Cycra Pro bend hand guards

Dual foam air filters

Softer seat foam

Jetted carb with original parts included

Suspension revalved if PO is same weight as you and same type riding.

Basically, if you are not willing to do some work, and the part is not in good shape to ride, then its a PITA for you.

Any sweat equity you put into it is value added for you and negative to seller.  Negotiate down the minus.  And good luck.

Edited by ronbuell

It doesn't have cartridge forks, not a deal breaker but watch out for worn out tubes and leaks.

Front brake can be spongy. Upgrade to stainless steel braided line.

Ask to see the air filter. If its dirty, walk away from that one... PO didn't do maintenance.

Check wheel bearing and make sure they are tight, not a deal breaker, just a negotiation point.

Same for chain and sprockets and brakes and tires and seat cover.

Busted plastics are negative; 135 a set plus shipping.

Pluses, Pro Taper bars, Cycra Pro bend hand guards

Dual foam air filters

Softer seat foam

Jetted carb with original parts included

Suspension revalved if PO is same weight as you and same type riding.

Basically, if you are not willing to do some work, and the part is not in good shape to ride, then its a PITA for you.

Any sweat equity you put into it is value added for you and negative to seller. Negotiate down the minus.

And good luck.

I'll deff look And think about all tbat! That's good advise. The ad says it has brand new Acerbis plastics, Pro taper Handlebars, New air filter, Carb kit, Scott grips, grip seat cover, and most of the bike is pretty stock otter than that. Starts first kick

Only other thing to think about is your fit on the bike.

After 03, Yamaha started looking at shortening down the "passenger compartment" to fit smaller riders.

The raised the steering head, dropped the seat closer to the foot pegs, and i think changed something around the top tree.

The changes were extremely small, like millimeters, but it made huge differences in being able to touch the ground, ergonomics, and handling.  Then they did that again in 06 with aluminum frame bikes. 

So you might want to sit on some other years to see how they feel... there is a difference.

This one sounds like a deal if the owner give an honest history and tells you what he's actually done to it and what problems he's had with it.

So ask those questions..............

Only other thing to think about is your fit on the bike.

After 03, Yamaha started looking at shortening down the "passenger compartment" to fit smaller riders.

The raised the steering head, dropped the seat closer to the foot pegs, and i think changed something around the top tree.

The changes were extremely small, like millimeters, but it made huge differences in being able to touch the ground, ergonomics, and handling. Then they did that again in 06 with aluminum frame bikes.

So you might want to sit on some other years to see how they feel... there is a difference.

This one sounds like a deal if the owner give an honest history and tells you what he's actually done to it and what problems he's had with it.

So ask those questions..............

Again thanks, and I'll take ur advise. I'm hoping I can touch the ground with it. I'm not even sure what the seat height is....

I've got an 03 and I'm happy with it so far. I'm 5'6 and it's just a tad tall but so is every bike I ride. It's shorter than the 125 I just moved off of. Compared to it, the 250 is harder to corner. I'm sure it will improve with more seat time on it but I can't just put it where I want it like the 125. Feels kinda top heavy. Other than that, the previous posters have pointed you in the right way.