Sign in to follow this  

How To Tell What Year YZF I have & A Few ?'s

Like the title says.. I bought this bike from a guy as a project bike. He said it was a 2003. The frame has been powdercoated and there are no factory stickers, or tags on it anywhere to indicate what year it is. I thought there would be a # stamped on the head tube but apparently they smoothed it before they powder coated the frame and there is NOTHING stamped there.

Bike has a Hot start lever. Followed the cable back to the carb. The plastic elbow that screws into the carb & holds the hot start cable is broken right at the threads where it screws into the carb. Can I buy that elbow separately or is it part of the cable assembly? Bike does not have a decompressor lever.

I need a timing chain for the bike and this is why I need to know what year it is. I have the top end off so I can put a new head, pistons, ring, base gasket, head gasket, etc on it. Today I went to put the cylinder back on over the new piston & rings & noted that the timing chain is "kinky". By that I mean even if I pull on it as hard as I can, you cannot get the chain to straighten out. From reading I see that these chains are a problem area so I will replace it-I just need to know what year to order, unless they are all the same?

*update* I see that the timing chains are the same from 2001-2012. Ordered a brand new Yamaha Chain on-line for $26 with shipping included.

Edited by Kawabuggy

Since it has the hot start it is 03 or newer. That plastic piece of the hot start is known for breaking. I had the same thing happen on my 03. Look up the aluminum replacement it is way better.

Going back to the vin. Everyone knows vin numbers should never be removed. This makes me think this bike is stolen. Check the engine for a vin and make sure it matches your paperwork.

The VIN is likely still there, but it is buried under the powdercoat paint. A buddy had bought a bike with a powdercoated frame. It would probably be a good idea to remove the paint and get the number exposed. Yeah, it's going to look like crap after you remove the paint, but you should probably get the number out there. If a law enforcement officer were to check your bike someday, he would have some questions and if he doesn't see the VIN, it might ruin your riding day.

As to which year, it sounds like you have a 03 or newer.

The easiest way to tell the differences, assuming your bike is still close to stock:

01 & 02 = oil check dipstick in center of frame ahead of gas cap.

03, 04, 05 = oil check dipstick on LH side of frame by the steering head.

03 and 04 = fork compression adjuster on bottom of fork. Fork caps require normal box-end wrench.

05 = compression adjuster on top of fork. Fork caps require special tool to remove.

04 and 05 = 48mm diameter forks

You mostly need to know if your bike is a 05 when you order a replacement piston as the 05 & newer pistons are different than 01-04.

Edited by BazookaJoe
  • Like 2

Has the oil level check on the left hand side gusset to the frame & head tube. Has fork caps that require standard box wrench but does have some type of adjustment-maybe rebound?-on the top.

You are concerning me about the piston. The piston I got is a Pro X piston kit and right on the package it says " 2001-2013, 12.5:1" To me that would mean this piston will fit all years.

Piston, rings & cylinder are back on. Waiting on head from Fastheads, and timing chain from evil-bay.

The heads are different from 05 and newer, hence different pistons. A piston from the older bikes can function (go up and down without trouble), but the compression ratio won't be correct. The difference between these years, is that the newer heads have greater volume. To maintain the compression ratio, the piston is shaped differently to make up the difference.

Not sure what ProX is doing with their piston, but simply put, one size does not create 12.5:1 compression ratio for all the years with the same piston.

Edited by BazookaJoe

I had the same issue on a bike that was powder-coated and I could not find the vin on the neck until I tried this method. Get the largest magnifying glass you can find and a flashlight,,start looking from all different angle's, you may get lucky.

When you say goldish colored forks, do you mean they are similar in color/appearance to what is on the CR's or CRF's from Honda? This bike definitely has goldish colored forks on it.

I may search up some images on Google of 2003's, then later bikes to compare.

I agree with Joe...i had a buddy do that once (why i dunno), he wanted to paint the frame of a bike he bought in a box...and did so. I know he left the VIN on but painted it and you could not tell it was there at all...filled right in.