Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R or CRF450R

My grandson just turned 16.  He's 5'10", 160 and still growing.  We are trying to figure out if he would be better off with a CRF250R or a CRF450R.  Most likely he'll top out at 6' or 6'2" and about 185 to 200 pounds.  He is well proportioned, that is his legs are not abnormally long on short for his height.

He's looking for a bike for motocross. He's an agressive rider and does quite well. Hopefully he want's to pick one that he won't grow out of in a few years.  For someone his size, will a 250R be too small and or will he be to heavy for a bike that size?  We tried asking the dealer and he was zero help, which is about what I expected from them.

Thanks for the advice.

How much previous experience does he have?

He's been riding since he was 7 or 8.  He rides daily.

Well I am230 lb's and I ride a 250. If he rides daily a bike probably won't last him too many years either way. I used to race a 426 and I can tell you the difference between the two is night and day. The 250 is fast but the 426 was FAST! It just depends on his skill level but a 450 can get you hurt real quick if you're not ready for it.

• Like 1

Im 5'9" and weigh a little over 175lbs. I ride a 450 but dont need it. A 250 would be fine for hime and save some money in your pocket. My bike has more power then ill ever need even if i weighed 250lbs.

What is he riding now?

He started on a CRF80F that I put a Hot Cam in and rejetted the carb.  It ran well until his legs got too long.  He's currently riding his cousins KDX 150, and riding it well.  As soon as his cousin is done being afraid of it he'll have to give it back to him.   The boy rode the bike for one hour, "knew it all", popped the clutch and flipped the bike over on him.  He's refuses to get back on it since.  A benefit for my grandson.

I have nothing against Kawasaki but would like to get the grandson back on a Honda.

Thanks all for the input.

Well I am230 lb's and I ride a 250. If he rides daily a bike probably won't last him too many years either way. I used to race a 426 and I can tell you the difference between the two is night and day. The 250 is fast but the 426 was FAST! It just depends on his skill level but a 450 can get you hurt real quick if you're not ready for it.

Did you have to re-spring the bike for your weight?

I probably should but I haven't yet, I just got used to it being squishy.

Would you happen to know what the weight range the stock bike(CRF250R) is sprung for?

Edited by Joisey

Would you happen to know what the weight range the stock bike(CRF250R) is sprung for?

According to the book it is set from the factory for 150-160 lb's without gear but you can adjust your spring preload and fork oil for heavier riders.

I would go with the 250 and get the suspension set up for his weight. It is a big step going from a KDX 150 to a 450 race bike. My son has both a 250 and 450, is an A grade level rider and still finds the 450 a handful. He only weighs 160lbs though.

Last thing you would want is for your grandson to get hurt on a bike that was too much for him to handle. Get him the 250 and let him get used to it, then down the track consider stepping up to the 450.

• Like 1

250 is a great bike. I'm not far from you and I have a mildly modded 2014 CRF250R that I will be selling the 1st week of July if he's interested. Lighter than a 450 and plenty fast enough to keep him happy for years to come! The 450 can bite you whereas the 250 can only give you a scratch!

Edited by Eddie8v

Thank you gentlemen.  It looks like the 250 will be in his future.  Now he just has to scrape the money together.  Thank you all for your help and insight.