Sign in to follow this  

Accidentally hitting neutral and revving high

I have a yz85 (bored to 112) and sometimes I will accidentally hit neutral when trying to get to second. When I give it gas (cause I think I'm in second but I'm really in neutral) it revs really high cause it's in neutral. Is this gonna harm my engine? Whenever it happens I cringe at the sound, it just sounds terrible (revving too high in neutral) thanks for any help.

I have a yz85 (bored to 112) and sometimes I will accidentally hit neutral when trying to get to second. When I give it gas (cause I think I'm in second but I'm really in neutral) it revs really high cause it's in neutral. Is this gonna harm my engine? Whenever it happens I cringe at the sound, it just sounds terrible (revving too high in neutral) thanks for any help.

So long as your bike's jetting (mj) is right, a quick little burst of over-revving isn't going to hurt anything.  What hurts is when you're going into a corner, slam it down a gear, it catches neutral, you quickly lose momentum, and fall over in the corner :blush:

Hit that shift with just a little more authority (but not too hard) and don't worry about it ;)

• Like 3

It won't damage a mechanically sound two-stroke. They have the mechanical ability to rev much higher than their breathing ability will allow.

These small bore yzs are notorious for mis-shifting. My 80 word always do the same thing. The bikes are almost bulletproof if well maintained.