Sign in to follow this  

Switching from 100LL to 91 pump gas.

Hey everyone,

I recently just picked up a 06 rm250 and the previous owner ran 100LL avgas mixed with amsoil dominator. i was wondering if it would be safe to switch to 91 pump gas. ive heard a lot of stuff and 100LL being bad for the bike and some saying its ok but i want to be safe and dont know if i should stick with the 100LL or switch to pump gas.06 rm1.jpg

Hey everyone,

I recently just picked up a 06 rm250 and the previous owner ran 100LL avgas mixed with amsoil dominator. i was wondering if it would be safe to switch to 91 pump gas. ive heard a lot of stuff and 100LL being bad for the bike and some saying its ok but i want to be safe and dont know if i should stick with the 100LL or switch to pump gas.attachicon.gif06 rm1.jpg

is the engine stock, or has the compression ratio been upped?

port work, etc? if not, you are just pouring money where it won't

do much good.

avgas has a bunch of things that you need with a plane that you

don't need with a vehicle, any vehicle. de icing, etc. unless you

have detonation problems, i'd pass on it.

one of my vendors has a '71 nova with a small block, no nitrous

or blower, and he's turning 1,050 hp on the rollers. the entire

engine strategy was built around a VP fuel that currently runs $17

a gallon. be glad you aren't there....

shell premium should run fine in your situation.

is the engine stock, or has the compression ratio been upped?

port work, etc? if not, you are just pouring money where it won't

do much good.

avgas has a bunch of things that you need with a plane that you

don't need with a vehicle, any vehicle. de icing, etc. unless you

have detonation problems, i'd pass on it.

one of my vendors has a '71 nova with a small block, no nitrous

or blower, and he's turning 1,050 hp on the rollers. the entire

engine strategy was built around a VP fuel that currently runs $17

a gallon. be glad you aren't there....

shell premium should run fine in your situation.

all it has is a nickel plated cylinder and a new oem piston. it also has a fmf gnarly pipe and turbine core 2 silencer i wasnt sure if i would have to re jet it to run 91 pump gas. if not thats great thanks for the help.

all it has is a nickel plated cylinder and a new oem piston. it also has a fmf gnarly pipe and turbine core 2 silencer i wasnt sure if i would have to re jet it to run 91 pump gas. if not thats great thanks for the help.

i'd get 5 gallons of a decent brand of premium gas, and go out playriding and plug reading.

decide what flavor of oil you want to run, and the ratio, and pick up some jets

and experiment... you aren't probably gonna have to go far from where the bike is at now,

if at all... couple jets on either side of the ones you currently have...

or, if you are not all that sure how to set it up, find a shop that does it, and spend a bit

of money and have them dial it for you....

i'd get 5 gallons of a decent brand of premium gas, and go out playriding and plug reading.

decide what flavor of oil you want to run, and the ratio, and pick up some jets

and experiment... you aren't probably gonna have to go far from where the bike is at now,

if at all... couple jets on either side of the ones you currently have...

or, if you are not all that sure how to set it up, find a shop that does it, and spend a bit

of money and have them dial it for you....

Ok thanks im gonna mix up some castor 927 and run it. i dont really know alot about jetting so i might just have a shop take a look at it. Any tips on what to look/listen for when i run it?

Ok thanks im gonna mix up some castor 927 and run it. i dont really know alot about jetting so i might just have a shop take a look at it. Any tips on what to look/listen for when i run it?

Keep an eye on the spark plug color, and jetting shouldn't change if it's stock.  It's possible that the previous owner may have messed with the jetting when he started running avgas, but like FulThrotl said, if your motor is stock then you'll be fine on pump 91.  FYI: a stock motor means no port or cylinder head work.  Having the cylinder re-plated doesn't effect performance and a pipe & silencer really doesn't effect jetting either (not in a big way).  In all honesty, just google what your stock jetting should be and if it's different either buy what you need to make it stock or buy a JD jet kit.  JD jet kits are easy to install (really!) and work great, they're not cheap (about $75) but you will look like a jetting pro when your done installing one of their kits.