Sign in to follow this  

Fmf Q4 on 520 rs?

Anyone have this slip on? If so, what are the power characteristics, and does it change the sound to be louder or quieter than the stock exhaust?

Would like more power but not be any louder than stock, preferable quieter. Any suggestions?

About the only exhaust quieter than (or same as) stock is the Leo Vince with quiet insert. The Q4 should be pretty darn quiet though. As far as power change, jetting will be your best bet for changing the powerband to your liking.

I have a Q4 on my 400 and it is def louder than stock and worse with the insert removed but still not bad, made quite I bit of difference with my 400 power wise as well again with the insert removed it is better, pulls all the way to the rev limiter.

Anyone have this slip on? If so, what are the power characteristics, and does it change the sound to be louder or quieter than the stock exhaust?

Would like more power but not be any louder than stock, preferable quieter. Any suggestions?

Its pretty much universally known that pipes do not add power over a well designed factory system. One can gain low rpm throttle response at the expense of noise but thats not really the correct way to go either.If you want more power from your 520 optimize the jetting as Chris mentioned or opt for a thinner base gskt if you can get away with using one whilst maintaining a safe 40 thou quench.Even better spend a portion of the money on a really good bottle of tequila and be done with it.

• Like 4

Its pretty much universally known that pipes do not add power over a well designed factory system. One can gain low rpm throttle response at the expense of noise but thats not really the correct way to go either.If you want more power from your 520 optimize the jetting as Chris mentioned or opt for a thinner base gskt if you can get away with using one whilst maintaining a safe 40 thou quench.Even better spend a portion of the money on a really good bottle of tequila and be done with it.

But the manufactures don't design pipes that way, they are trying to keep the noise and cost down and the FMF slip on pipe diameter is quite a bit bigger.

Higher compression, higher octane fuel, richer jetting, the exhaust should be a higher flow as well.

My slip on made a noticeable difference throughout the RPM range, especially on the upper RPM, without the spark arrestor insert it pulls all the way to the rev limiter but is too loud.

I've had a Q4 on my 520RS for a while now. Very noticeable power increase across the entire rpm range. FMF claims 10-15% increase, so that would be 4-6 hp. It feels like that. The oem Beta exhaust must meet DOT noise req. of what 82-84db? The Q4 is what 94db? Much less flow restriction. With the Q4, I had to open the fuel screw nearly 3/4 turn to get the idle mixture back to where I liked it with stock exhaust.

Yes it is louder than stock, but its not too loud to me. The slip-on is larger than oem, so its closer to the plastic and your boot. There is a heat shield that Dave at GetDirty sells that keeps your boot & plastic from touching the front of the can/pipe. I do recommend getting this with the Q4.

Good luck,

Catfish ...

• Like 2

Thanks Catfish for the info. Stark contrast to the other post saying exhaust doesn't do much and that I should drink and forget about it. Heck if the enthusiasts did that, we would still have fins on our cylinder heads and two shocks out back! Thanks again!

Thanks Catfish for the info. Stark contrast to the other post saying exhaust doesn't do much and that I should drink and forget about it. Heck if the enthusiasts did that, we would still have fins on our cylinder heads and two shocks out back! Thanks again!

No one here will disaggree with the fact that you can get more HP out of the FMF pipe assembly Muffler/Header combo that many here are running. Question is are you in "need" of that extra extra 5-6? If so then by all means, go for it as they are great systems.

I've personally bought 2 complete FMF assemblies, one for the CRF450X, it did wonders indeed, and one for the little Yamaha WR250R which it needed badly!

Both bikes that really needed a complete pipe, but my new Beta 450? Hmmm. Some bikes scream for a new aftermarket exhaust, some, well do not.

Yeah it would be cool, honestly I'm getting to the point where I'm using all the power this bike affords me, but that's really not that often during my riding day.

IMHO I would like of course more HP, but the added sound (DB-wise) and cost does not "at this time" merit spending $600.00 for a system, just me. I'd rather throw that amount towards suspension work Vs. 4-5 more for the 450 and oh yeah a good bottle of tequila ;-)

Kindly don't get anyone wrong, we all embrace technology, just some don't need at this time a little extra RAM to help the CPU...

• Like 2

I really don't think you will notice any power increase with a quiet pipe.My criteria is much different than most guys. I demand reliable and quiet at all costs. If I ride desert or sand dunes, then uncorked and the more power the better. But most of the trails I ride on are questionable as far as legal. Some are even hiking trails.  And you never get out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

Now if you get the FMF Powercore, re-jet to a 180-182 main, raise the needle a notch, get the dual map switch, and run some U4.4, then you will have a rocket on your hands. 

Sounds like some of the guys here like Widebear, are getting into a larger carb and using an exhaust bung for precise jetting. Pretty cool stuff.

• Like 1

But the manufactures don't design pipes that way, they are trying to keep the noise and cost down and the FMF slip on pipe diameter is quite a bit bigger.

Higher compression, higher octane fuel, richer jetting, the exhaust should be a higher flow as well.

My slip on made a noticeable difference throughout the RPM range, especially on the upper RPM, without the spark arrestor insert it pulls all the way to the rev limiter but is too loud.

Convince me. Monkey Wrench riding area on Sun? I want to hear that thing bouncing off the rev limiter!

Edited by widebear

Convince me. Monkey Wrench riding area on Sun? I want to hear that thing bouncing off the rev limiter!

Only place I did it was riding laps at a wide open sand track and I didn't like it because it means more wear, went to McNutt with Dave S and another friend and no chance of it their for me.

I would love to ride this bike up there or Duffy/Inks I think that's where they really shine

If they made a pipe that was quieter I'd be all over it. I do the same as Chris and ride where I probably shouldn't. A switch for cutting off all lighting gets less attention also. Honestly at the age most of us are, do you really need an extra 2-3hp. Most times it's a wider power band and not max HP. On any given day there's a young kid riding a bike half the size of yours just waiting to make you look like an old man. I grew up with the adage of a fast bike in the hands of a slow rider is still a slow bike. Spend the money on suspension and save your body. 

Edited by Rotax
  • Like 5

If they made a pipe that was quieter I'd be all over it. I do the same as Chris and ride where I probably shouldn't. A switch for cutting off all lighting gets less attention also. Honestly at the age most of us are, do you really need an extra 2-3hp. Most times it's a wider power band and not max HP. On any given day there's a young kid riding a bike half the size of yours just waiting to make you look like an old man. I grow up with the adage of a fast bike in the hands of a slow rider is still a slow bike. Spend the money on suspension and save your body. 

Now your talking. Suspension and controls are my number 1priority when setting up a bike. 

• Like 3

If they made a pipe that was quieter I'd be all over it. I do the same as Chris and ride where I probably shouldn't. A switch for cutting off all lighting gets less attention also. Honestly at the age most of us are, do you really need an extra 2-3hp. Most times it's a wider power band and not max HP. On any given day there's a young kid riding a bike half the size of yours just waiting to make you look like an old man. I grew up with the adage of a fast bike in the hands of a slow rider is still a slow bike. Spend the money on suspension and save your body.

Yep, I didn't expect the Q4 to be as loud as it is but not that bad.

Went riding with a 28 year old on a RM250, fit kid and he was beat up at the end of the ride and I was fine, rode with another friend on a KLX450 not packing the weight like me and I thought he was going to pass out but he still wants to go riding, I'm 43, 6'0 and 225 and not the I've been working out 225 either and my other friend is going to be 60 soon, it's a lot to do with experience I think, looks like the bikes are riding them sometimes.