Sign in to follow this  

replaced clutch but still slipping! Please help!

Hey guys. I have an 03 450exc and it felt like the clutch was slipping under power when I was in 3rd 4th 5th or 6th. 3rd was especially bad for some reason. I put in new steels, fibers, springs, and a new pressure plate. The bike still does the same thing! I then tried adding washers to see if it needed more spring tension but all that did was make it grab quicker. It still slips as soon as I put any power to it in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th. I am going crazy trying to fix this and I dont know where to look next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was using motorex that was given to me by the dealer. but I am now trying rotella, all of the ktm race guys around here run the rotella so i thought id give it a try. it didnt make a difference in the clutch performance though

Ok, making sure you weren't using a non motorcycle oil. 

Are you using OEM frictions and steels for your specific year? There have been changes to the thickness of each. Is the throw-out shaft retracting all the way? Might want to make sure by removing the master cap and pushing in the shaft. 

That's a Hydraulic clutch unit correct, they can sludge up and not retract the piston correctly

A good indicator would , look in the bottom reservoir for contamination. I don't have any direct knowledge with ktm hydraulic units, just my experience with other bikes and hydraulic clutches. The orifices get sludged they don't work right, which can cause the clutch to hang up.

Edited by Spud786

You can always try a flush, I don't think ktm uses the typical dot 3 and 4 brake fluid in their clutches, and any mixing of glycol with mineral oil bad things happen with swelled seals. But this is just a heads up so you can look into it and confirm.

Do you have an extra steel laying around? Look at the pressure plate fingers and see how far down they are on the basket. I've seen some clutch stacks that aren't tall enough so the spring pressure is low on the stack. Sometimes an extra steel will fix it but make sure it doesn't push the PP too far up when you fully depress the clutch lever.

update: I am so frustrated right now. I have tried every trick and nothing seems to work. I tried adding a steel and it made my clutch not work. I then added a washer to the push rod, this made my clutch work, but it works terribly. ive tried shimming the springs with washers and that didnt fix anything it just made it grab really fast. I just cant figure it out. I dont know what to do next.