Sign in to follow this  

front sprocket torque

anybody know the torque of  front sprocket nut  the big one on a 2014

anybody know the torque of  front sprocket nut  the big one on a 2014

You mean the front axle nut Spin?

no..The 2014 has a big nut instead of a C-clip on the small drive sproket.  I need the torque for that....

no..The 2014 has a big nut instead of a C-clip on the small drive sproket.  I need the torque for that....

Okay, forgive the question. I called my bud who has a 14 and he referenced his owner's manual to find a torque spec, which I assume you did, so you know it isn't in there.  You also know there is a fold-over lock washer on the thing, which I guess Kawasaki decided was better than the C-clip.  If it were me wanting to ride and not knowing the answer, I would do what you did here, and hope somebody with real info would respond, so maybe someone will.  But, if that did not happen, I would probably get the thing finger tight and wrap the lock washer around it.  The logic is the C-clip has zero torque at all, and that works fine.  Also, there is no chance of the nut coming off with the washer folded over.  I wouldn't want any side -to-side play, but I wouldn't be worried about the nut coming off.  I will look into it further and let you know what I find.  

Edit:  The KXF450 has been using this same setup, and it looks like 52 ft-lb.  So, this is better info:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/978850-2012-kx450-counter-shaft-sprocket-nut-torque-spec/

Edited by Dragon67

Okay, forgive the question. I called my bud who has a 14 and he referenced his owner's manual to find a torque spec, which I assume you did, so you know it isn't in there.  You also know there is a fold-over lock washer on the thing, which I guess Kawasaki decided was better than the C-clip.  If it were me wanting to ride and not knowing the answer, I would do what you did here, and hope somebody with real info would respond, so maybe someone will.  But, if that did not happen, I would probably get the thing finger tight and wrap the lock washer around it.  The logic is the C-clip has zero torque at all, and that works fine.  Also, there is no chance of the nut coming off with the washer folded over.  I wouldn't want any side -to-side play, but I wouldn't be worried about the nut coming off.  I will look into it further and let you know what I find.  

Edit:  The KXF450 has been using this same setup, and it looks like 52 ft-lb.  So, this is better info:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/978850-2012-kx450-counter-shaft-sprocket-nut-torque-spec/

Hey thanks that will work.  we where going to just go with 40ft/lbs for now but 52 works for me...