Sign in to follow this  

Installing second circlip - any knacks or tricks to it?

I'm currently doing a top end on my crf 250. I've just put a new piston into it.

I cannot for the life of me get the second circlip into the groove, the first one was straight forward enough as I done it in my hand, but I can't get the second in while it's attached to the conrod.

I've done this a few times before but the engine was always sitting on a bench where I could move it about, this time I've left the engine in the frame.

Are there any knacks or tricks to getting the second one in? I was at it for  2 hours straight tonight and had to walk away for fear of breaking something  :banghead:

Get one end In the grove and work it around till the other side snaps Into place. A scribe or small flat blade screw driver helps a lot

• Like 2

Someone could make a million bucks if there was a schnazzy tool for it. 

I got one  :p  but it's for LS chevy and mopar piston pins  :lol:  490.00 Bucks . OP is that the piston pin that come in the kit with the piston? I've ran into before trying to install a piston from one kit and piston pin from another and you will never get that clip in. Some manufacture rods at different lengths , just enough to not have room for the clip to fit in the groove. 

IMG_1947.JPG

It can be a huge PITA, but blt2tuk has the same advice I would give.  It helps to wad up paper towels below the piston, and have a cold beverage ready for when you get frustrated.  

I got one  :p  but it's for LS chevy and mopar piston pins  :lol:  490.00 Bucks . OP is that the piston pin that come in the kit with the piston? I've ran into before trying to install a piston from one kit and piston pin from another and you will never get that clip in. Some manufacture rods at different lengths , just enough to not have room for the clip to fit in the groove. 

Just a little steep on the pricing....im thinkin theres a cheaper method...i may just have to invent somethin

• Like 1

When I did my raptor700, it was a HUGE PITA due to the type of circlip, yet when I did my yz250f they had the circlip that had the holes on the end and I purchased the correct tool for the job. Super duper easy. I wish they were all that way.

Someone could make a million bucks if there was a schnazzy tool for it. 

Someone must be making millions then as there are plenty of tools available !!!!

CirclipToolUnlabeled.jpg

• Like 2

Someone must be making millions then as there are plenty of tools available !!!!

Ya I found some after i said that. Guess I'm outta luck. 

• Like 1

I got one :p but it's for LS chevy and mopar piston pins :lol: 490.00 Bucks . OP is that the piston pin that come in the kit with the piston? I've ran into before trying to install a piston from one kit and piston pin from another and you will never get that clip in. Some manufacture rods at different lengths , just enough to not have room for the clip to fit in the groove.

Yep it's all genuine Honda parts.

Thanks for all he suggestions. Going to sit down with the motogp in the background and have another crack at it.

We're having great weather here at the moment. It's a pain to see the bike in pieces :(

• Like 1

Get one end In the grove and work it around till the other side snaps Into place. A scribe or small flat blade screw driver helps a lot

That's how I do 'em too. Works great, no special tools needed.

I start by putting the open end of the clip into the piston with the open end facing the 12 O'clock position. Then, I will use a small flat blade screwdriver with a small "V" notch ground into the end. Hook the clip exactly opposite of the open end of the clip and then press the clip in & up and it will pop right in. Should not take more than 5-10 seconds.

I've done 2 pistons, in 2 different bikes, in the last month and they both went together like butter.

• Like 1

There is a cheap toll to install them. I think harbour freight sell them.

Finally got the little b*****d in. Pliers and a small screwdriver and it eventually worked its way Into the grove.

Another quick question as i don't want to start another thread. How to i effectively run a new piston in? I assume its half paced riding and coasting to set the rings?